Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble migrating us

Hi - here’s what I’m having a problem with: I am trying to use migration assistant to add a user account.  The receiving computer is a 2014 iMac using HS. The older computer with the user I want to transfer is probably using ElCapitan. Not sure, as I have the internal drive from the older computer removed and being used as an external drive connected to the iMac.

When I open MA, it shows 3 users on the external drive: a square user icon, a black upper body icon (account?) and something called PostgreSQL. I “chatted” with apple advisor this morning. They did not clear up why there were 3 available when the PDF on transferring shows only the square user icon.

Along the way with MA, I got to the page which says select information to transfer. The top panel showed the name of the account and I set a password. Below it showed the square icon and the PostgreSQL icon and gave me a temp password and asked whether I want to make them admins. I did not make them admins and hit continue. Then I hit a road block. Page said “PostgreSQL already exists on this computer.” (I couldn’t see it in accounts and users) The choice of replacing was greyed out. So I need to rename. In this case, I renamed PostgreSQL-new and that was accepted. I could not come up with a suitable entry for the line for user account name.

How to I transfer successfully onto the iMac?

Thanks SO much for any advice.  John

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 6:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 10:26 AM

PostgreSQL is the default database on macOS Server as of OS X Server version 10.7. macOS without the macOS Server add-on installed includes only the PostgreSQL libpq shared library.

macOS Server 10.12 ships with PostgreSQL 9.4. Minor updates are provided by Apple, but not necessarily right after a new PostgreSQL minor release.

There are several other installers available for PostgreSQL on macOS, which is the recommended way to install.

https://www.postgresql.org/download/macosx/#:~:text=macOS%20packages,the%20PostgreSQL%20libpq%20shared%20library.&text=There%20are%20several%20other%20installers,the%20recommended%20way%20to%20install.

Only thing I can think of is somebody setup OSX Server at sometime, but since youweren't aware of it in your query then I figured best to skip it. Maybe some other App you installed uses it, but I think you'd be aware of that. :)

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2020 10:26 AM in response to John Phillips10

PostgreSQL is the default database on macOS Server as of OS X Server version 10.7. macOS without the macOS Server add-on installed includes only the PostgreSQL libpq shared library.

macOS Server 10.12 ships with PostgreSQL 9.4. Minor updates are provided by Apple, but not necessarily right after a new PostgreSQL minor release.

There are several other installers available for PostgreSQL on macOS, which is the recommended way to install.

https://www.postgresql.org/download/macosx/#:~:text=macOS%20packages,the%20PostgreSQL%20libpq%20shared%20library.&text=There%20are%20several%20other%20installers,the%20recommended%20way%20to%20install.

Only thing I can think of is somebody setup OSX Server at sometime, but since youweren't aware of it in your query then I figured best to skip it. Maybe some other App you installed uses it, but I think you'd be aware of that. :)

Aug 25, 2020 5:16 AM in response to BDAqua

Yes, I managed to migrate user from old computer #3 to #2, then migrated user from computer#2 to new computer #1. Took 12 hours of head scratching and 2 calls to Apple. Your advice was appreciated! Not sure exact path to success, but it did entail deleting recent migration users and starting again. Apple person said "oh don't do that." But I got it all working. Thanks for asking...

Trouble migrating us

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.