Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring Apple Music files

I have 5000 songs on my iMac desktop. But the iMac is having persistent shutdown issues, and I need to do a complete reinstall where I will lose all data. How can I easily and quickly transfer my music files from the iMac to my MacBook Air?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 8:30 AM

Hello djgkng,

It sounds like you want to transfer your music files to a new device and are seeking methods to accomplish this. We will be happy to help.

There are several methods that you can take to ensure that your music is moved over.

You could make a Time Machine backup to preserve the data on the Mac: Back up your Mac with Time Machine

Second, if you would like to move more content over, this article explains how to use Migration Assistant to do so: How to move your content to a new Mac

Third, if you're concerned solely about your music, you could subscribe to Apple Music and then use sink library to sync your music across all your devices:

Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music

We hope this helps. Please feel free to contact us back if you need any further assistance.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2020 8:30 AM in response to djgkng

Hello djgkng,

It sounds like you want to transfer your music files to a new device and are seeking methods to accomplish this. We will be happy to help.

There are several methods that you can take to ensure that your music is moved over.

You could make a Time Machine backup to preserve the data on the Mac: Back up your Mac with Time Machine

Second, if you would like to move more content over, this article explains how to use Migration Assistant to do so: How to move your content to a new Mac

Third, if you're concerned solely about your music, you could subscribe to Apple Music and then use sink library to sync your music across all your devices:

Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music

We hope this helps. Please feel free to contact us back if you need any further assistance.

Transferring Apple Music files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.