Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration to new iMac, how to get Music (iTunes Match) to connect to hard drive library

Migrating from an iMac that could not upgrade past High Sierra. All my music is on an external hard drive, organized by iTunes on that computer. The migration to Music on the new iMac with Big Sur went more or less smoothly, until I realized that it was not 'recognizing' the music on my external hard drive that I physically reattached to the new iMac. Music app was fully populated with cloud references to my music. I have the Music Media folder location set to my external drive. It says all of my music is available to be downloaded. But I already have it!

A test download of 1 song put it in the correct place on my external drive, but it made a duplicate copy with a 1 appended to the song name.

Am I supposed to download an entire new copy of the library and throw out my existing one? All 26K songs, 165GB? Is there not some way to tell it to locate these files locally?

Really like to resolve this before I rip any newly purchased CDs into my library.

iMac 24″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 7:27 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Aug 3, 2021 3:36 PM in response to barberlives123

I don’t believe you understand what I am asking.

I used those steps using the iTunes app during the many years I accumulated my music library. It was all stored on an external drive. I have long been subscribed to iTunes Match so there is a copy of my library in the cloud.

On migration to a new iMac with Big Sur and iTunes replaced by the Music app, once I signed in, it populated with my cloud copies of my music. I’ve moved the external drive with my local copies over to the new iMac, but Music does not associate the Info: Files attribute to my local copy. It simply says “Cloud”.

I want Music to recognize the file(s) on my external drive as the already “downloaded” local copy of my music files, but it apparently cannot do that.

Migration to new iMac, how to get Music (iTunes Match) to connect to hard drive library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.