Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving Music To New iMac

Hi,

I just want to check before I potentially mess anything up...

My music, from CD's/ iTune's was integrated into my Apple Music subscription some while ago on my MacBook Pro. (El Capitan).

It was set up so all my music and anything downloaded from Apple Music was stored on a separate hard drive. (The external hard drive had to be connected for the Music app to open).

Now I have added an iMac, (Catalina), to my collection and need to move my music to it.

When I open the Music app on the iMac everything is in place, so - am I assuming this is just what the Music app 'see's' from my iCloud, (nothing is downloaded), which would be what I see on my iPad/iPhone?

I want to use the external hard drive as before so do I just need to point the iMac to my ext drive using 'Preferences > Files > my ext dv'?

Will that then resort my iMac to the set-up I was using with my MacBook Pro?

Sorry if this is basic.

I really want to be sure I know what I am doing to avoid losing anything or ending up with a load of duplicates!

Many Thanks...

Nigel

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 12:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 4:38 AM

New content downloaded or ripped by Music will be stored in the designated Music Media folder location, currently /iTunes 1TB/iTunes/iTunes Media.

If you wanted to make the library self contained you might want to rename the Music folder on external drive from Music 1 to Music (while Music is closed) which is slightly more elegant, then set the media folder to /iTunes 1TB/Music/Media and consolidate the library with File > Library > Organize Library > Consolidate Files. This will copy in music content from the old folder, after which you could delete /iTunes 1TB/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music. Obviously you should only do this if you have more free space on the drive than is taken up by music.

tt2

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2021 4:38 AM in response to EnEs63

New content downloaded or ripped by Music will be stored in the designated Music Media folder location, currently /iTunes 1TB/iTunes/iTunes Media.

If you wanted to make the library self contained you might want to rename the Music folder on external drive from Music 1 to Music (while Music is closed) which is slightly more elegant, then set the media folder to /iTunes 1TB/Music/Media and consolidate the library with File > Library > Organize Library > Consolidate Files. This will copy in music content from the old folder, after which you could delete /iTunes 1TB/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music. Obviously you should only do this if you have more free space on the drive than is taken up by music.

tt2

Feb 17, 2021 3:55 AM in response to turingtest2

Hello turingtest2,

This is what I see under Music > Preferences > Files...

(iTunes 1TB is my ext d/v).

Here are two screen shots of that external drive named iTunes 1TB...

1/ Of my previous El Capitan iTunes folder showing both the library and media folders

...and 2/ of the Catalina library 'Music1' set up today...

In the Catalina Music app there are no 'download' symbols except for a few recent albums I haven't downloaded yet.

All my Apple Music I have downloaded is listed as 'Apple Music'. Any previously owned music is listed as 'Matched

If I right-click a song which has been previously downloaded I can see the option to 'Remove Download' which indicates to me it is downloaded?. I just don't seem to be able to find where to?

Could it be possible that the Catalina 'Music' app is finding the Music Library.musiclibrary in the 'Music1' folder on the ext d/v and seeing the media in the 'iTunes' folder from my El Capitan set-up?

Feb 17, 2021 1:38 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you turingtest2,

I appreciate your patience with me on this! It's quite a change from El Capitan...!

I pointed the iMac Music app to my ext h/d > iTunes and created a new folder Music1 > Music Library.musiclibrary as per your articles.

It went fairly smoothly apart from I fell victim to the "Cant play music from Apple Music because I am not signed in".

I was clearly signed in so I followed other internet suggestions and when all else failed I had to delete the Music app and reinstall.

Now my Music app seems complete. Music is now showing/playing original content and Apple Music content. So far - so good.

But I have one further question, please...

This Music1 folder only contains the library data - Music Library.musiclibrary. (7.9MB's).

Where is the Music app playing my original & downloaded music from? Is it 'streaming' everything?

If so, where is my 'Media' downloaded music folder that I had before with El Capitan?

Feb 17, 2021 4:13 AM in response to EnEs63

Music is using your Music 1/Music Library.musiclibrary file as its database and /iTunes 1TB/iTunes/iTunes Media as the media folder. Apple Music content downloaded to your library goes to <Media Folder>/Apple Music/<Album Artist>/<Album>. Purchases and ripped media normally goes to <Media Folder>/Music/<Album Artist>/<Album>. You can right/ctrl-click regular music and use Show In Finder to see where it stored, but not Apple Music content.

tt2

Moving Music To New iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.