Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

giving my IPAD mini to my grandson

I want to give my Mini 2 to my grandson but don't want him to be able to buy anything including apps. I even want to add Kindle to the IPad but I would buy the books for him NOT him. Do any of you have ideas how to set it up safely

iPad mini, iOS 12

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 11:24 AM

A minors account, linked via Family Sharing, does not require a credit card. All Family purchases (which you control) are made against your own AppleID account.

The sequence is to set-up family sharing - then create the minor’s account - and only then setup the iPad.

3 replies

Aug 23, 2020 11:03 AM in response to evegold

You’ll need to set-up Family Sharing for your AppleID account - then create a new Apple for your grandson (as a minor) and add him as a family member.

Between Family Sharing, Parental Controls, and ScreenTime/Restrictions, you’ll be able to have considerable control over activities.

Family Sharing - Apple

Share App Store, iTunes Store and Apple Books purchases with Family Sharing – Apple Support

Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support

Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

You’ll want to properly prepare the iPad before setting-up,for your grandson:

What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

I hope this information and guidance proves to be helpful to you.

giving my IPAD mini to my grandson

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.