Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up an iPad for a child without another apple device

Hi. I've bought an iPad for my daughter's Christmas gift, and I want to set it up ahead of giving it to her.

This is the only apple device we have in our household, and everything online tells me to use another apple product to create a child's apple ID and manage her settings.

Is there another way I can do this? I've got my own apple ID which I can log into on browser. I haven't done anything with the iPad yet, so it is literally starting from scratch.

Thanks

iPad (10th gen) WiFi

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 2:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 9:27 AM

Hello Oscar0822,

I presume by "child" you mean under 13. For under 13, see Legal - iCloud - Apple

"I. REQUIREMENTS FOR USE OF THE SERVICE

A. Age. The Service is only available to individuals aged 13 years or older (or equivalent minimum age in the relevant jurisdiction), unless you are under 13 years old and your Apple ID was provided to you as a result of a

request by an approved educational institution or established as part of the Family Sharing feature by your parent or guardian."

So basically a child under 13's ID has to be set up by a parent under Family Sharing and Family Sharing requires Apple hardware to set up. *

Even for over 13, if you want to have control over what the child does, this has to be done as part of Family Sharing which requires.

*I'll just add at this point that Apple does talk about setting up a family group and "Family Sharing" on Android in this document: Use Family Sharing with Apple Music on Android - Apple Support However, that may strictly be in the context of sharing an Apple Music family subscription and not extend to other Family Sharing features.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2022 9:27 AM in response to Oscar0822

Hello Oscar0822,

I presume by "child" you mean under 13. For under 13, see Legal - iCloud - Apple

"I. REQUIREMENTS FOR USE OF THE SERVICE

A. Age. The Service is only available to individuals aged 13 years or older (or equivalent minimum age in the relevant jurisdiction), unless you are under 13 years old and your Apple ID was provided to you as a result of a

request by an approved educational institution or established as part of the Family Sharing feature by your parent or guardian."

So basically a child under 13's ID has to be set up by a parent under Family Sharing and Family Sharing requires Apple hardware to set up. *

Even for over 13, if you want to have control over what the child does, this has to be done as part of Family Sharing which requires.

*I'll just add at this point that Apple does talk about setting up a family group and "Family Sharing" on Android in this document: Use Family Sharing with Apple Music on Android - Apple Support However, that may strictly be in the context of sharing an Apple Music family subscription and not extend to other Family Sharing features.

Dec 5, 2022 9:38 AM in response to Oscar0822

Oscar0822 wrote:

Thanks Limnos.

Yes, my daughter is almost 9.

Do you know, is it possible to set the iPad up with my Apple ID, create a new one in family sharing, and then change the ID used for the iPad?

You can, but you won't be able to Manage the child Apple ID and the restrictions without another device after you sign out of your Apple ID and sign in with hers on the iPad. So not the best option. You would have to constantly sign her out of the Apple ID, and sign in with your for any modification, an than can have the unintended consequence of locking one Apple ID out of the iPad for 90 days.

If it were me, I would create an Apple ID normally, set the age to 13, and then just activate all the parental restrictions in Settings, and not really involve Family Sharing.

click here ➡️ Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Dec 5, 2022 9:37 AM in response to Oscar0822

If the child is less than 13 years old, you will need to set up Family Sharing. It can be done using one device, but it is a bit more difficult using only one device. On the device, sign into Settings/Your Name with your Apple ID and set up Family Sharing. Create the child's ID. Sign out of your ID and sign in with the child's ID. Swap Settings/Your Name  in as required.

Setting up an iPad for a child without another apple device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.