Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to see which Airport Extreme I'm connected to

I have two Airport Extreme devices (one is my main router and the other is to extend my wifi network), If I'm on my wifi network, how can I tell which Extreme I'm actually connected to?

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 11:27 AM

Couple of ways to do this.

Open AirPort Utility and click on the picture of an AirPort Extreme. When you do this, a smaller window will appear with information about the AirPort Extreme.

Look for Wireless Clients. If you see your Mac or iPhone / iPad there, then you know that you are connected to that AirPort Extreme. If you don't see your device when you do this, it is likely connected to your "other" AirPort Extreme.

Repeat the steps above on your "other" AirPort Extreme to see the Wireless Clients that are connected to that AirPort.

Another way to see which AirPort that you are connected to.........

If you have a Mac laptop, temporarily turn off the WiFi on the Mac and move it close to an AirPort, then turn the WiFi back on.

Hold down the option key on your Mac while you click on the WiFi menu at the top of the Mac's screen

Look for the BSSID. This is the ID number of the AirPort to which you are connected. Jot down the last 4 characters.

Then do the same thing again with the other AirPort. Now you have two different ID's, so you can see which AirPort that your Mac is connected to at any given time.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2020 11:27 AM in response to lakingsfn2004

Couple of ways to do this.

Open AirPort Utility and click on the picture of an AirPort Extreme. When you do this, a smaller window will appear with information about the AirPort Extreme.

Look for Wireless Clients. If you see your Mac or iPhone / iPad there, then you know that you are connected to that AirPort Extreme. If you don't see your device when you do this, it is likely connected to your "other" AirPort Extreme.

Repeat the steps above on your "other" AirPort Extreme to see the Wireless Clients that are connected to that AirPort.

Another way to see which AirPort that you are connected to.........

If you have a Mac laptop, temporarily turn off the WiFi on the Mac and move it close to an AirPort, then turn the WiFi back on.

Hold down the option key on your Mac while you click on the WiFi menu at the top of the Mac's screen

Look for the BSSID. This is the ID number of the AirPort to which you are connected. Jot down the last 4 characters.

Then do the same thing again with the other AirPort. Now you have two different ID's, so you can see which AirPort that your Mac is connected to at any given time.

How to see which Airport Extreme I'm connected to

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.