You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV remote isn’t controlling Hisense tv volume and power

I’ve just bought great TV of Hisense and connected it to my Apple TV, but unlike the old Samsung tv I had, I need now use the other remote to turn the tv instead of just clicking the menu button. It’s very annoying but its nothing compared to the volume problem. I can’t control it at all without the other remote. I have to watch tv with two remotes like I’m flying a spaceship, then game with another controller and for typing like a human being I need to grab my phone.

So, how can I make the tv to be powers on with a click on the Apple TV menu button and response to the volume buttons?

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 11:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 12:15 PM

The Apple TV Remote tries to control the volume level using IR, unlike the other commands that are send through bluetooth.

If the volume control signals aren’t understood by the TV, then you can let the remote learn to operate the TV volume through Apple TV: Settings﹥Remotes and Devices﹥Volume Control﹥Learn new device…

Wake/standby of the TV can possibly be configured by turning on HDMI-CEC on both devices:

TV: Settings﹥Inputs﹥[Consumer Electronics Control (CEC)]﹥

﹥HDMI Control﹥On

﹥Device auto power off﹥On

﹥TV auto power on﹥On

You may need to ‘refresh’ the HDMI connection afterwards. It may not be needed to power-cycle, but disconnecting the HDMI cables, then re-connecting should do it.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 23, 2020 12:15 PM in response to idoks

The Apple TV Remote tries to control the volume level using IR, unlike the other commands that are send through bluetooth.

If the volume control signals aren’t understood by the TV, then you can let the remote learn to operate the TV volume through Apple TV: Settings﹥Remotes and Devices﹥Volume Control﹥Learn new device…

Wake/standby of the TV can possibly be configured by turning on HDMI-CEC on both devices:

TV: Settings﹥Inputs﹥[Consumer Electronics Control (CEC)]﹥

﹥HDMI Control﹥On

﹥Device auto power off﹥On

﹥TV auto power on﹥On

You may need to ‘refresh’ the HDMI connection afterwards. It may not be needed to power-cycle, but disconnecting the HDMI cables, then re-connecting should do it.

Apple TV remote isn’t controlling Hisense tv volume and power

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.