Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to merge multiple iMovie Clips?

For some reason, about 2 minutes of video have been split into about 50 short clips with lengths of 0.7 sec to 1.5 sec or so. How can I merge them back to a single clip?

Many thanks!

Dick

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 12:16 PM

HI, DHuitema,

I don't know what happened there. Sometimes importing from tape results in numerous clips. In the timeline they will play together as if they were one clip. No way to merge them from within an iMovie project. However, you can merge the clips into one clip by sharing them out as a movie (File/Share/File) to your desktop and then dragging the shared movie back into a new iMovie project. It will come in as one clip.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2020 12:16 PM in response to DHuitema

HI, DHuitema,

I don't know what happened there. Sometimes importing from tape results in numerous clips. In the timeline they will play together as if they were one clip. No way to merge them from within an iMovie project. However, you can merge the clips into one clip by sharing them out as a movie (File/Share/File) to your desktop and then dragging the shared movie back into a new iMovie project. It will come in as one clip.

-- Rich

Aug 24, 2020 9:06 AM in response to Rich839

Hello Rich,

Thanks!

That does put them together, but there is slight "flash" at each transition whether I play them in iMovie or follow your suggestion. I was hoping there was a way to avoid the 50 "flashes" that occur in the 2 minute clip.

I guess I'd better import it again.

On another note, your suggestion will allow me to store iMovie video in mp4 files. I find managing video easier using such files than using "Events."

Many thanks!

Dick

Aug 24, 2020 10:16 AM in response to DHuitema

Hmmmm. The flash is definitely an annoying problem. The only way that I know of to eliminate them is to expand the timeline, scroll through the video and cut out each place where there is a flash. Then share out again. A bit labor intensive for sure. with 50 clips but it probably wouldn't take more than 10 minutes at 10 secs or so per clip.

Your idea of trying to import again is a good one.

-- Rich

How to merge multiple iMovie Clips?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.