Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2020 macbook pro hour alert volume wont adjust, even when using the slider option.

macbook pro hour alert volume wont adjust, even when using the slider option. It only gets louder or quieter when I use the main output sound keys. So, for some reason the voice is SUPER loud when my volume is up all the way, but when I go into system preferences and try and customize the volume using the slider, it's just really loud no matter where the slider arrow is on the volume control.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 3:46 PM

6 replies

Aug 24, 2020 11:07 AM in response to anandfromtampa

anandfromtampa wrote:

leroydouglas,

No, if you go to "system preferences, date & time, clock, announce the time" there's an option to download custom voices that will announce the hour, half hour, or every quarter hour.

Thanks anandfromtampa— in all my years I never heard of this feature, nor anyone who used it, or had an issue as you describe. I just tested and I can corroborate there are some limitations here.

This may be out of your control.

You can send Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

in an effort to drill down on the issue you can escalate up the chain of command all the way to engineering —

Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753) 

or on line  https://getsupport.apple.com/

Aug 23, 2020 7:50 PM in response to anandfromtampa

anandfromtampa wrote:

macbook pro hour alert volume wont adjust, even when using the slider option. It only gets louder or quieter when I use the main output sound keys. So, for some reason the voice is SUPER loud when my volume is up all the way, but when I go into system preferences and try and customize the volume using the slider, it's just really loud no matter where the slider arrow is on the volume control.

"hour alert volume"—Is this a third party app?

Aug 24, 2020 10:49 AM in response to leroydouglas

leroydouglas,

No, if you go to "system preferences, date & time, clock, announce the time" there's an option to download custom voices that will announce the hour, half hour, or every quarter hour. When I use the volume slider to play/test the any voice, it's just loud or nothing! No in between. Even with the slider saved on the second to last lowest volume setting, when the hour hits, Ava LOUDLY says "It's such and such hour." If I use my main volume controls, it does raise and lower her voice. But, it also raises and lowers the main volume too, so it's very ineffective.

2020 macbook pro hour alert volume wont adjust, even when using the slider option.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.