Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Alert Volume Doesn't Change

Brand new MacBook Air & Big Sur:

The alert sounds are too loud, and changing them in System Preferences does not work. They are set to low, but the volume is too loud when the main volume is set to high; watching a movie is annoying when an alert sound occurs. (screenshot attached)

I have also set WhatsApp not to make a sound, but it does! (screenshot attached)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Brand new MacBook Air 🤦🏼‍♂️

Posted on Jul 17, 2021 4:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 4:44 AM

Does your issue present itself when booting in Safe Mode? ? Suggesting trying - might indicate either some Other Third Party Software playing up ( source of issue ) OR some Issue in your computer account.

Comparing - first Apple computer was G4 - 12 " Powerbook with Tiger. Only two hardware issue from then to now. First Apple Venture into Intel MBP Video Card failure and the 12" Retina Macbook Fanless - I fried the LogicBoard ( my doing )

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2021 4:44 AM in response to inknpaper

Does your issue present itself when booting in Safe Mode? ? Suggesting trying - might indicate either some Other Third Party Software playing up ( source of issue ) OR some Issue in your computer account.

Comparing - first Apple computer was G4 - 12 " Powerbook with Tiger. Only two hardware issue from then to now. First Apple Venture into Intel MBP Video Card failure and the 12" Retina Macbook Fanless - I fried the LogicBoard ( my doing )

Jul 17, 2021 1:22 PM in response to inknpaper

Yes, Apple screens all Application Submissions. Just like thy do for Cleaning Application which in well documents on these Forums to be an invitation for disaster.

Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation. The Built-in Security of Big Sur is all that is required.

Any of the above can or could come into play regarding your issue

Jul 22, 2021 5:13 AM in response to inknpaper

This entire issue is annoying me, and so will contact Apple Support. Why, with a brand new machine, should I even have to be doing this?

I set the MacBook Air to Do Not Disturb, but ALL notifications continued...

I turned off WhatsApp sound notifications, but they still kept pinging, and so I even turned OFF WhatsApp notifications altogether, but the annoying sound persisted (no message previews when watching a movie, at least!). The only way to stop the WhatsApp notification sound was to quit the app. Why should I have to quit the app?

All apps, third party or not, have been approved by Apple before being allowed to be made available on the AppStore, but even so, this is the news M1 chip and Big Sur; the best and most up-to-date, right? So, why is my new machine playing up with the most basic of all functions? Notifications.

I also noticed that the Screen Brightness continues to automatically adjust itself after being put to sleep even though I have turned off the function.

If, after one month of owning this machine I am experiencing this, what is going to happen in the next few months and years (after updates, too!)?

In no way do I wish to reinstall the OS either this time nor in the future. How many times is this going to happen?

This is completely unacceptable for a new MacBook Air M1.

Rant over with, I will contact Support and report back with their suggestions.

Jul 22, 2021 5:33 AM in response to PRP_53

Hello again, I forgot to reply and follow your suggestion about Safe Mode.

It fails to load in Safe Mode. I am using the Shift key after restarting, and holding it until the login screen. I have performed this several times.

I wrote a long reply to this thread a few minutes ago outlining other functions I am experiencing, and ended by saying that I will contact Support. I am really unhappy because I have only had this MacBook Air for about 6 weeks.

Thanks for your valuable input, as always :)

Jul 18, 2021 4:11 AM in response to Old Toad

I understand, and thanks, but the Air is barely one month old, and I shouldn't have to start doing things like that. I have been resetting PRAM for many years on all of my others Macs, and I was hoping that Big Sur was better than all the previous operating systems, but no.

I have jumped from a 2009 MacPro, a rock in many ways.

I think today's OS should automatically detect and fix such annoyances upon startup (it does with many other issues), especially when it's a newly used device and without many 3rd party apps installed.

I appreciate your valuable input and reminder. I shall begrudgingly do that now :)

Alert Volume Doesn't Change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.