Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring an ipad

How can i restore an IPad that wasnt signed out of the icloud account of the person who previously owned it? The previous owner is a family member who recently passed away and we were given this ipad amongst other belongings. I would like to be able to use this ipad but I have no clue what to do from here.

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 5:18 PM

Unless you know the Apple ID and Apple ID Password your family member used, you cannot get in the iPad yourself.

If all you want is to be able to use the iPad and you don't want any of the data on the device, you can take a copy of the death certificate, a letter from the estate granting you ownership rights and if at all possible the original purchase receipt to Apple and they may be willing to erase the device for you to use.

If you want to access any of the data on the device, such as cherished family photos, this link will detail what Apple will require for that --> How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts - Apple Support

If you don't want any of the data, just use the advice I provided above.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2020 5:18 PM in response to 123nattysteve

Unless you know the Apple ID and Apple ID Password your family member used, you cannot get in the iPad yourself.

If all you want is to be able to use the iPad and you don't want any of the data on the device, you can take a copy of the death certificate, a letter from the estate granting you ownership rights and if at all possible the original purchase receipt to Apple and they may be willing to erase the device for you to use.

If you want to access any of the data on the device, such as cherished family photos, this link will detail what Apple will require for that --> How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts - Apple Support

If you don't want any of the data, just use the advice I provided above.

Restoring an ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.