Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad is locked. i am not the owner.

This new system of restoring and apple product is insane. I have my fathers old iPad, i do not have his password or or email address. He passed away months ago and i have no way of opening this ipad. This new system where you would need the original owner to unlock and old ipad is nonsense to me. We use to just restore it as long as it is ours already. Old people do not remember passwords and email. Do any of you have a way of restoring an ipad without doing that DNS BYPASS NONSENSE. Apple should have a way to have people restore apple devices like the old ways

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 7, 2023 7:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2023 8:03 AM

For information about how to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts, and through this their equipment, click here --> How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

Actually Apple has this too but it's too late for that in your situation: How to add a Legacy Contact for your Apple ID - Apple Support

In addition Apple can remove a lock if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. Do this online here --> https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not state what constitutes proof. This might be similar to what is required in the top section..

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2023 8:03 AM in response to yuki168

For information about how to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts, and through this their equipment, click here --> How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

Actually Apple has this too but it's too late for that in your situation: How to add a Legacy Contact for your Apple ID - Apple Support

In addition Apple can remove a lock if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. Do this online here --> https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not state what constitutes proof. This might be similar to what is required in the top section..

iPad is locked. i am not the owner.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.