Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch 5 battery does not hold, service diagnostics says it's OK

Hey community,

I have an apple watch series 5, 40mm, bought from an apple store.

After setting it up and I trying to use it, it discharged in a few hours.. Tried different methods like switching off always on, wake screen on wrist raise, app background refresh for all apps, etc. to keep the battery last longer, but no success. Reboot, hard reset, switching apple ID didn't help either.

After a few months of playing with it and trying to work, I took it to the apple store, they did the full diagnostics for the watch and they found NOTHING! Tried to explain the issue to them, but nothing.. They said they cannot help

What I have noticed, that while the watch is not on a wrist, it can last for more than 24h, but if I put it on the wrist it starts to discharge very quickly, even though everything is off and I don't even try to check the time..

So, any geniuses on this issue?

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 8:07 AM

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Tips for Apple Watch

Update to the latest software.

Always make sure your Apple Watch is using the latest version of watchOS.

• To see if you need an update, open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone and go to My Watch > General > Software Update.
  • If an update is available, connect your iPhone to Wi-Fi, attach the charger to your Apple Watch (make sure it has at least 50% charge), and update wirelessly.

Learn more about updating watchOS

Adjust your settings.

There are a few ways you can preserve battery life on your Apple Watch:

• During running and walking workouts, turn on Power Saving Mode to disable the heart rate sensor. To do this, open the Apple Watch app on iPhone, go to My Watch > Workout, and turn on Power Saving Mode. Note that when the heart rate sensor is off, calorie burn calculations may not be as accurate.
  • For longer workouts, you can choose to use a Bluetooth chest strap instead of the built-in heart rate sensor. To pair the Bluetooth chest strap with your watch, make sure the strap is in pairing mode, then open Settings on Apple Watch, select Bluetooth, and choose from the list of Health Devices.
  • If you’re very active with your hands and your watch display turns on more than you think it should, you can prevent the display from turning on every time you raise your wrist. Open Settings on Apple Watch, select General, select Wake Screen, and turn Wake Screen on Wrist Raise off. When you want to turn on the display, just tap it or press the Digital Crown.
  • Disabling Bluetooth on your iPhone increases the battery drain on your Apple Watch. For more power-efficient communication between the devices, keep Bluetooth enabled on iPhone.

View Battery Usage information

To view your usage and standby information, open the Apple Watch app on iPhone and go to My Watch > General > Usage.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2020 8:07 AM in response to Petras12

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Tips for Apple Watch

Update to the latest software.

Always make sure your Apple Watch is using the latest version of watchOS.

• To see if you need an update, open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone and go to My Watch > General > Software Update.
  • If an update is available, connect your iPhone to Wi-Fi, attach the charger to your Apple Watch (make sure it has at least 50% charge), and update wirelessly.

Learn more about updating watchOS

Adjust your settings.

There are a few ways you can preserve battery life on your Apple Watch:

• During running and walking workouts, turn on Power Saving Mode to disable the heart rate sensor. To do this, open the Apple Watch app on iPhone, go to My Watch > Workout, and turn on Power Saving Mode. Note that when the heart rate sensor is off, calorie burn calculations may not be as accurate.
  • For longer workouts, you can choose to use a Bluetooth chest strap instead of the built-in heart rate sensor. To pair the Bluetooth chest strap with your watch, make sure the strap is in pairing mode, then open Settings on Apple Watch, select Bluetooth, and choose from the list of Health Devices.
  • If you’re very active with your hands and your watch display turns on more than you think it should, you can prevent the display from turning on every time you raise your wrist. Open Settings on Apple Watch, select General, select Wake Screen, and turn Wake Screen on Wrist Raise off. When you want to turn on the display, just tap it or press the Digital Crown.
  • Disabling Bluetooth on your iPhone increases the battery drain on your Apple Watch. For more power-efficient communication between the devices, keep Bluetooth enabled on iPhone.

View Battery Usage information

To view your usage and standby information, open the Apple Watch app on iPhone and go to My Watch > General > Usage.

Apple watch 5 battery does not hold, service diagnostics says it's OK

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.