Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voice Control responds to most of the commands on my Mac, but what do I need to say to make it start taking dictation?

Voice Control responds to most of the commands on my Mac, but what do I need to say to make it start taking dictation? I see that "Type...." is in the list of the dictation commands, but that command is evidently not recognized as a command to start typing.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 9:05 AM

You need an open, and selected application document that is capable of accepting spoken words into Text (e.g. Pages, Word, TextEdit, etc) from Dictation. LibreOffice 7 is not among these, as it may take several minutes for input to appear.

Without the document selected, among those applications that receive input from Dictation, nothing happens.

Visit the Accessibility panel : Voice Control : Commands… panel and scroll down in the commands until you see, and select, Turn off Voice Control. Now, with those spoken words, you can turn it off without visiting the Accessibility panel.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2020 9:05 AM in response to amasonb

You need an open, and selected application document that is capable of accepting spoken words into Text (e.g. Pages, Word, TextEdit, etc) from Dictation. LibreOffice 7 is not among these, as it may take several minutes for input to appear.

Without the document selected, among those applications that receive input from Dictation, nothing happens.

Visit the Accessibility panel : Voice Control : Commands… panel and scroll down in the commands until you see, and select, Turn off Voice Control. Now, with those spoken words, you can turn it off without visiting the Accessibility panel.

Voice Control responds to most of the commands on my Mac, but what do I need to say to make it start taking dictation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.