Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unreliable dictation with Voice control

I find dictation on my iMac with big Sur using voice control to be unreliable, Even though I attempt to train it.

Any suggestions how to improve dictation because I think Apple really have not got this sorted out? Any help would be appreciated.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 12:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 12:15 PM

Hi Anthony William Murray,

Thanks for following up. We're glad you found some improvement with the tips we've provided.

In regards to the delay, was this occurring prior to switching to an external microphone as well?

A few ideas of things to check based on the next article.

Ensure the correct language and microphone are selected in System Preferences > Keyboard > Dictation.

Are you using Dictation only, or do you also have Voice Control enabled in System Preferences > Accessibility?

Dictate messages and documents on Mac

Microsoft does have its own Dictation feature which you could try enabling within Word.

Microsoft Blog - Dictate your documents in Word on Mac

Hope this helps! Feel free to keep us posted. Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2021 12:15 PM in response to Anthony William Murray

Thanks for following up. We're glad you found some improvement with the tips we've provided.

In regards to the delay, was this occurring prior to switching to an external microphone as well?

A few ideas of things to check based on the next article.

Ensure the correct language and microphone are selected in System Preferences > Keyboard > Dictation.

Are you using Dictation only, or do you also have Voice Control enabled in System Preferences > Accessibility?

Dictate messages and documents on Mac

Microsoft does have its own Dictation feature which you could try enabling within Word.

Microsoft Blog - Dictate your documents in Word on Mac

Hope this helps! Feel free to keep us posted. Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Aug 9, 2021 7:38 PM in response to Anthony William Murray

Thanks for reaching out using Apple Support Communities. Here to help.

We understand you are seeking tips for improving your experience with Dictation and Voice Control on the Mac.

When you say you have attempted to train it, are you referring to Vocabulary or Commands, found in System Preferences > Accessibility > Voice Control? This is a good way to help the system learn phrases you use commonly. More information regarding these and other Voice Control functionalities can be found in the article below.

Use Voice Control on your Mac

Some microphone related troubleshooting is provided in the article below. Ensure nothing is blocking your microphone, and that the input volume is adjusted to a high enough level. You can check this in System Preferences > Sound > Input. You may also consider using an external microphone such as a headset, to see if this microphone is picking up your voice better than the internal microphone.

If your Mac doesn’t recognize text and commands you speak

Hope this helps! If we can clarify anything further, please let us know.

Aug 10, 2021 12:28 AM in response to chuck_3rd

That is very helpful Chuck, thank you. I have done what you have suggested and I do have an external Samsum microphone. I will check the levels to ensure that it is being received correctly.

If the Apple system is Learning through algorithms then it is doing very slowly. Four instance, I want to use the word Youth but it often comes out does use, And I use the word Jane but that often comes out as chain!

I have been spoiled because I have used other systems in the past, Dragon and other programs and they are so much more superior than to the Apple system.

Many thanks and I'll keep trying!

Tony

Aug 10, 2021 1:49 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Chuck, one more request as you have helped me so much. I have changed things as you suggest and I'm sure the accuracy is a little better.

However, I do get a very long delay from having spoken and then the text is placed on the screen. I have very fast Internet with fibre to the premises, And I don't understand why I have this delay. I wonder if there is something on the system which I can change to enable the text to be placed on the screen reasonably quickly after I have dictated it?

Thank you so much for your help.

Aug 10, 2021 2:47 AM in response to chuck_3rd

It's me again Chuck. I hope you don't mind me sending you three replies which I have done now. This third one is about delay in dictation. I found the delay when dictating into a Microsoft document to be significant, However, when experimenting I find when I dictate into Pages which is an Apple Icon that the delay is significantly less. Also when I dictate into Mail there is only a slight delay. Therefore, my hypothesis (if I can use that word) is that delay only take place when I am using programs which do not belong to Apple??

Many thanks again

Tony

Aug 10, 2021 12:47 PM in response to Nicholas_B2

Many thanks Nicholas it's good of you to reply.

The delay varies but his worst when dictating into Word. I do realise they have their own dictation set up.

I will soldier on, being an inveterate dictator, but I do think that the Apple should improve dictation within its programs, after all it is usually offering a superb service. Not this one though.

Aug 10, 2021 1:10 PM in response to Anthony William Murray

We were having trouble replicating much delay in our testing of dictation. If the delay is significant for you, it may be worth bringing to a direct support case with Apple Support. Advisors may be able to explore further and identify the root of this issue. If interested, go ahead and use the link below.

Get Support - Apple

Take care for now!

unreliable dictation with Voice control

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.