Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't view my Pages documents HELP! What the heck is a index.xml file???

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro and have to use High Sierra as my OS. One rainy day I decided to clean out my garbage. I think I deleted something I shouldn't have because I couldn't open my pages documents. WHAT A MESS! I found 2 thumb files and returned them to my screen and I could open them. Now, after the computer was shut off, I'm back to seeing the msg., "The (name of document) couldn't be opened. The required index.xml file is missing.'". I tried to find out about the index.xml file. I have no idea what they are so I can retrieve it from the trash.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 9:16 AM

An index.xml file is an internal component found in documents created by Pages '09 v4.3 and earlier. It is not found in documents created by Pages v5 (Oct 2013) and later which use an entirely different internal document architecture, and one that is not backwards compatible with Pages '09 or earlier, which would launch a dialog about a missing index.xml file.

Formally Quit your Pages '09 application, and then with the same document, right/control click on it and from the secondary menu, choose Open with Pages (default) v8.1 (or later) depending on your current version of Pages. It is the Pages application with a yellow application icon.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2020 9:16 AM in response to pmctobe

An index.xml file is an internal component found in documents created by Pages '09 v4.3 and earlier. It is not found in documents created by Pages v5 (Oct 2013) and later which use an entirely different internal document architecture, and one that is not backwards compatible with Pages '09 or earlier, which would launch a dialog about a missing index.xml file.

Formally Quit your Pages '09 application, and then with the same document, right/control click on it and from the secondary menu, choose Open with Pages (default) v8.1 (or later) depending on your current version of Pages. It is the Pages application with a yellow application icon.

Can't view my Pages documents HELP! What the heck is a index.xml file???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.