Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I recover a deleted pages document?

I accidentally deleted a Pages File from my Mac and I'm struggling to recover it. Also, for some reason when I hover over the Pages app and go to "Open Recent," I see the title of the document name and if I click it, I can't open it because a pop-up window would say "The file "______" cannot be opened because it doesn't exist. So now what? The name is there on the file but the contents in the file cannot be shown? How do I recover it then?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 23, 2021 8:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2021 11:52 PM

The 'Recents' list is just that—a list of files you have opened recently. File names stay on the list until they are ushed off by files that have been opened more recently.

Unless you have emtied the trash, there's a good chance your 'deleted' file is still in the Trash folder. If you've emptied the Trash since putting it in the Trash, recovery may be more difficult.

If it is in the Trash, drag it out and place it in a different folder, then try opening it.

If it's not in the Trash, or can't be opened after moving it out of the Trash, enter Time Machine, and work your way back to a date before you deleted the file. Time Machine may still contain an earlier version.

Regards,

Barry

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2021 11:52 PM in response to Gboy13

The 'Recents' list is just that—a list of files you have opened recently. File names stay on the list until they are ushed off by files that have been opened more recently.

Unless you have emtied the trash, there's a good chance your 'deleted' file is still in the Trash folder. If you've emptied the Trash since putting it in the Trash, recovery may be more difficult.

If it is in the Trash, drag it out and place it in a different folder, then try opening it.

If it's not in the Trash, or can't be opened after moving it out of the Trash, enter Time Machine, and work your way back to a date before you deleted the file. Time Machine may still contain an earlier version.

Regards,

Barry

May 24, 2021 11:26 AM in response to Gboy13

Time Machine is not meant for Flash drives and does require a small investment in an external hard drive to get started. That drive should be 2.5 - 3x the size of your internal drive. You recover documents from a Time Machine drive by launching the Time Machine application in your /Applications folder to access that mounted external drive.

If you have no Time Machine backup, your means to recover that deleted file just evaporated.

May 24, 2021 2:38 PM in response to Gboy13

If you've not yet done so, you could try a Spotlight search on ".pages"

It will have a large number of hits, as it should find all the Pages files on your Mac.

Looking further:

If your accidental deletion was recent, and not much has been saved (by you, other users of the computer, or by the computer itself), it may be possible to recover the file.

In past times, 'deleting' a file removed its entry from the directory of the device holding the file, and marked the space holding the file as 'available', but did not actually remove the file. But having its space marked 'available' made it vulnerable to being overwritten by any data being saved after that deletion, and once overwritten, it was no longer accessible.

There were applications available then that could find the bits and reconstruct some or all of the file, and there were (and probably still are) data restoration companies with more powerful applications that could do a more intensive search for parts of the file, spend more time at it, and could, in some cases, restore even partially or completely overwritten files. Those talents came with a large price tag, though, and probably still do.

A net search for 'data recovery software' may bring up some affordable candidates, or may serve as an object lesson on the importance of backing up as least the important files.

Good luck!

Regards,

Barry

How can I recover a deleted pages document?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.