Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to easily transfer iCloud videos into iMovie on Macbook pro?

I have videos in iCloud photo library. It's so painful and slow to download all the videos on Macbook pro. So that I can edit those videos in iMovie.

Is there an easy and efficient way to transfer videos from iCloud to iMovie?

Plus, my Macbook pro in addition is low in memory :( What do I need to make more space? What to Purchase ?

Thank you!!!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 11:58 AM

To your second question, I use a Western Digital 4TB "My Passport" SSD flash drive to store my videos. So far no problems after 2 years usage. Drives do fail, however, and hence the need to have a second backup external drive. You want it formatted for Apple. You can buy it Apple formatted or format it yourself Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using the Disk Utility app found in the Utilities folder on your Mac. Here's a link to the Western Digital website:

https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/portable-drives/wd-my-passport-usb-3-0-ssd#WDBKVX0020PSL-WESN

As for your iCloud question, I don't use iCloud to store or sync my videos -- so can't speak from personal experience. I believe that you can access your videos from the Photos item in the iMovie project sidebar, if you don't have Optimized Storage enabled in your iCloud settings. If you do have Optimized Storage enabled you would need to download the video to your Photos app and then use the Photos item to import it into iMovie. Try it with a test video to see.

Also, you can sign into www.iCloud.com to access your Photos app videoswww.iCloud.com

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2020 11:58 AM in response to Bunny21g

To your second question, I use a Western Digital 4TB "My Passport" SSD flash drive to store my videos. So far no problems after 2 years usage. Drives do fail, however, and hence the need to have a second backup external drive. You want it formatted for Apple. You can buy it Apple formatted or format it yourself Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using the Disk Utility app found in the Utilities folder on your Mac. Here's a link to the Western Digital website:

https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/portable-drives/wd-my-passport-usb-3-0-ssd#WDBKVX0020PSL-WESN

As for your iCloud question, I don't use iCloud to store or sync my videos -- so can't speak from personal experience. I believe that you can access your videos from the Photos item in the iMovie project sidebar, if you don't have Optimized Storage enabled in your iCloud settings. If you do have Optimized Storage enabled you would need to download the video to your Photos app and then use the Photos item to import it into iMovie. Try it with a test video to see.

Also, you can sign into www.iCloud.com to access your Photos app videoswww.iCloud.com

-- Rich

How to easily transfer iCloud videos into iMovie on Macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.