Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMovie and ICloud Connection

I have a MacBook Pro and would like to use iMovie on the computer to create home videos. I have not populated my photos on the computer as I am concerned that I will use up most of the space- my library is huge.

My photos and videos are all backed up on iCloud. Is there a way to easily connect to those iCloud photos to pull them into iMovie for use? Thanks!

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 4:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 8:39 AM

iMovie cannot access movies and photos that are in the cloud. However, you can download them from the cloud and then drag them into iMovie.

You might consider purchasing an external drive to store your Photos library. It would need to be formatted either Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS.

You can also create a second Photos app library to store your current photos on your internal drive. When you designate it as the system photo library in the Photos app General preferences then iMovie can access its content from the Photos item in the iMovie media sidebar.

I keep my large system photos library on an external drive. However, every year I create an additional photos library on my internal drive titled Photo Library 2021, Photo Library 2022, etc. in which I keep additional copies of the photos and videos that I am currently using that year. I back up all libraries, in addition to keeping all photos and videos in a backed up Finder folder. I feel more comfortable not having all my photos and videos locked up into any app's system. Everybody has a method that suits their own preferences.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2022 8:39 AM in response to Sus1357

iMovie cannot access movies and photos that are in the cloud. However, you can download them from the cloud and then drag them into iMovie.

You might consider purchasing an external drive to store your Photos library. It would need to be formatted either Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS.

You can also create a second Photos app library to store your current photos on your internal drive. When you designate it as the system photo library in the Photos app General preferences then iMovie can access its content from the Photos item in the iMovie media sidebar.

I keep my large system photos library on an external drive. However, every year I create an additional photos library on my internal drive titled Photo Library 2021, Photo Library 2022, etc. in which I keep additional copies of the photos and videos that I am currently using that year. I back up all libraries, in addition to keeping all photos and videos in a backed up Finder folder. I feel more comfortable not having all my photos and videos locked up into any app's system. Everybody has a method that suits their own preferences.

-- Rich

Mar 7, 2022 10:25 AM in response to Sus1357

I would think that you could do an Edit/Copy of the Photos app library icon on your internal drive, and then Edit/Paste it to your external drive. The external drive must be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS. I'm not sure whether you would need to download your photos from the cloud before copying the library to your external drive. However, since I don't use the Cloud myself, before you do anything I suggest that you post your question on the Photos for Mac Forum. The contributors there are very savvy about the Photos app and how to move libraries.

Here's the link to the Photos for Mac forum:

Photos for Mac - Apple Community

-- Rich

Mar 7, 2022 9:52 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich- thank you so much! I have a new external hard drive to do just what you have suggested. I’m now trying to figure out the best way to get the files to the hard drive. I have an old Mac with a photos library and photos in iCloud. Is the best way to move that photos file from the old computer over to the hard drive and then have the new computer access it from the hard drive?

IMovie and ICloud Connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.