Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac camera light blinking and flashing green

I’m starting a new thread for people with this specific problem as a previous post is marked solved although clearly it has not been solved based on the number of people who post on that thread daily. The issue is that the camera is no longer working on our Macs. We all believe it has to do with the Catalina update. So.. once again, to the folks at Apple... there are MANY of us who are unable to use PhotoBooth, FaceTime, or any third party app that uses the camera (Zoom, Skype, etc). As stated above, we get a green flashing light but the camera screen is dark. We’ve tried all of the recommended fixes.. including removing and reinstalling the entire operating system. When will there be a fix for this?

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 8:02 AM

I had this same exact problem about 4 months ago in and it resolved itself about 5 weeks later. I didn't do anything special besides stopping use of my computer for video calls/Zoom, and it somehow mended itself. However, yesterday the same camera issue came back, and I don't really have 5 weeks to just let it heal itself on it's own since I need the camera for school now. I'm hoping there's a software fix coming along soon, or that a concrete answer is in the works because this is a little ridiculous now. I sort of have a feeling it has something to do with Zoom, but since that isn't going away, I need Apple to make this work! I've tried resetting the SMC, running diagnostics--no issues found, I've tried using Terminal to fix the camera assistant whatever, I've tried gently vacuuming the hinge and vents...HELP!!

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2020 8:02 AM in response to leo_the_cat

I had this same exact problem about 4 months ago in and it resolved itself about 5 weeks later. I didn't do anything special besides stopping use of my computer for video calls/Zoom, and it somehow mended itself. However, yesterday the same camera issue came back, and I don't really have 5 weeks to just let it heal itself on it's own since I need the camera for school now. I'm hoping there's a software fix coming along soon, or that a concrete answer is in the works because this is a little ridiculous now. I sort of have a feeling it has something to do with Zoom, but since that isn't going away, I need Apple to make this work! I've tried resetting the SMC, running diagnostics--no issues found, I've tried using Terminal to fix the camera assistant whatever, I've tried gently vacuuming the hinge and vents...HELP!!

Aug 24, 2020 1:21 PM in response to leanorakoz

Here’s what Apple says to do:

If your built-in camera isn’t working on your Mac

If the camera indicator light next to the camera flashes green on your Mac notebook, contact Apple.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211130

So I did that (contacted Apple), and the support desk person had never heard of this problem. He told me to return the computer as I had just purchased it last week. That was their solution! Luckily it worked for me, but I want to know what they are going to do for all the other people who have this problem.

Aug 26, 2020 3:11 AM in response to leo_the_cat

I have the same issue. Green light turns on and there is a black window and after few seconds the green light goes off and in 2/3 secs I get a message. - no video, FaceTime has not received any video from the connected camera. Restarting your computer may fix this issue.

This is the same problem for Facetime, photobooth, skype, zoom, teams

In hardware I see built in Facetime camera and its details.

I have done all the recommended steps as mentioned - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211130

Aug 24, 2020 1:09 PM in response to leo_the_cat

I am having the same exact experience. My camera light turns green but doesn't turn on on any platform. It started about a month before school ended... in May, probably. Being a school teacher and need to video chat with students, it became a big problem. I had to video chat on my phone and use my computer to share lessons. School is starting in 2 weeks and the issue isn't solved. I Uninstaller back to factory settings and everything wiped out but didn't reinstall for 2 days and 4 different Apple online appointments. Frustrating, imagine online teaching with no computer and COVID and NO stores to buy a new laptop!!!. I got it back to where it was... i have my computer but no camera in photobooth, zoom, teams... nothing. I have the lightning Mac. I use it strictly for school and is less than 3 years old. Uggg.

Aug 24, 2020 1:41 PM in response to leo_the_cat

Mine is a one year old MacBook Air and my problem differs a little. Camera just stopped working in June. First troubleshoot w/ Apple Chat showed that computer still recognized the camera, which they said was a good indication. But after all their suggested resets, camera no longer is listed. Final try was upgrading to Catalina. Camera is gone!

Aug 26, 2020 4:22 AM in response to H4NDL3

Thank you, but yes, all of that has been done. The diagnostic code is ADP000 (no issues found) and Apple’s directions say to contact them:

“If the camera indicator light next to the camera flashes green on your Mac notebook, contact Apple.”

Sadly, there is no simple answer. I was told to return the computer (I did). Others have to take theirs in to an Apple store or ship it .. so that pretty much sucks.

Mac camera light blinking and flashing green

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.