Camera stopped working

Hi, I have a Macbook Pro 2017 and suddenly my camera stopped working. When connecting to Google Meet or Facetime, the green diod on the display goes on and after like 5-10 seconds it goes off. In Google Meet the camera settings keeps the message "Camera starting" for the whole call.

I tried everything I found for this topic on internet. Computer restart, macOS upgrade to the most recent version, SMC reset, checked if the camera is okay in system profile in settings (it is), diagnostics after restarting my computer (no issues found). Is there anything more I can do? What could cause this if the diagnostics and everything other seems normal? Thank you.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on May 30, 2023 12:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2023 8:08 PM

Hi danielfrolou,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: "Macbook Pro 2017 and suddenly my camera stopped working"

Re: "macOS upgrade to the most recent version"

Wondering how recently you updated, and which MacOS version is currently installed on your MacBook Pro:

For versions earlier than Ventura:

Try Safari > Preferences > Websites > Camera

Check that you allow or ask (not deny) the use of the camera for Google.

Then Apple menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Camera

Check that you allow use of the camera for Google

For Ventura : Control access to the camera on Mac – Apple Support

Else:

Apple support's articles may help with the camera:

What to do: If your built-in camera isn’t working on your Mac

and

If FaceTime isn't working on your Mac – Apple Support

Re: What could cause this if the diagnostics and everything other seems normal?

Mainly settings and / or maybe the need to :"restart" the computer occasionally,to ie: delete temporary files, and restore order.

and

Third-party (non-Apple) apps like ad-blockers, unnecessary virus-checkers, cleaners, and the like (even VPN, some browsers, etc) can cause interference.

Try turning such apps off, or use the uninstallers from their developers.

All the best :-)

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2023 8:08 PM in response to danielfrolou

Hi danielfrolou,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: "Macbook Pro 2017 and suddenly my camera stopped working"

Re: "macOS upgrade to the most recent version"

Wondering how recently you updated, and which MacOS version is currently installed on your MacBook Pro:

For versions earlier than Ventura:

Try Safari > Preferences > Websites > Camera

Check that you allow or ask (not deny) the use of the camera for Google.

Then Apple menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Camera

Check that you allow use of the camera for Google

For Ventura : Control access to the camera on Mac – Apple Support

Else:

Apple support's articles may help with the camera:

What to do: If your built-in camera isn’t working on your Mac

and

If FaceTime isn't working on your Mac – Apple Support

Re: What could cause this if the diagnostics and everything other seems normal?

Mainly settings and / or maybe the need to :"restart" the computer occasionally,to ie: delete temporary files, and restore order.

and

Third-party (non-Apple) apps like ad-blockers, unnecessary virus-checkers, cleaners, and the like (even VPN, some browsers, etc) can cause interference.

Try turning such apps off, or use the uninstallers from their developers.

All the best :-)

May 31, 2023 8:29 PM in response to danielfrolou

"Camera stopped working: Hi, I have a Macbook Pro 2017 and suddenly my camera stopped working. When connecting to Google Meet or Facetime, the green diod on the display goes on and after like 5-10 seconds it goes off. In Google Meet the camera settings keeps the message "Camera starting" for the whole call.[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting Mac iSight Camera:

I. Is there a camera even seen? Screenshot of a Mac Without a Camera

A. To Find Out:

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Select: About this Mac
  3. Click: System Report... button
  4. View: Hardware on left-column
  5. Click: Camera
  6. Confirm if a Camera is Even Seen

II. If no camera is seen....

A. Get the Drivers:

If no camera is seen, then the drivers went missing, somehow. So, you need to get to drivers. And to do that...

B. Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple SupportImportant: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to all of this. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

III. Refer to these Links:

Jun 3, 2023 12:16 PM in response to TheLittles

"Camera stopped working: […]And also I tried to recovery my Macbook with recovery tool, the camera still don't work.

———-

Updates and Resinalls Reenable the iSight Camera:

So, did you reinstall the macOS? For those who mess with the iSight Camera, (A.)reinstalling the macOS or (B.)installing an update makes the camera pupup again. So, either perform the macOS reinstall or wait for the next updatel > Back up > install macOS; and then see if ot pops up. All is explained in my previous reply.

Jun 3, 2023 1:38 AM in response to danielfrolou

Hi, thanks both for replying.

I have updated macOS this week, I have Ventura 13.4.

The camera in System preferences is normally seen, there is no issue.

I don't have anything blocked for the camera in privacy settings and I don't use or have installed any blockers, cleaner, antiviruses etc.

And also I tried to recovery my Macbook with recovery tool, the camera still don't work.

Jun 3, 2023 12:14 PM in response to danielfrolou

"Camera stopped working: […]And also I tried to recovery my Macbook with recovery tool, the camera still don't work.

———-

Updates and Resinalls Reenable the iSight Camera:

So, did you reinstall the macOS? For those who mess with the iSight Camera, (A.)reinstalling the macOS or (B.)installing an update makes the camera pupup again. So, either perform the macOS reinstall or wait for the next update; install it; and then see if ot pops up.

Camera stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.