Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2017 Built-In Camera Stopped Working

Hi All,

Yesterday, my built-in FaceTime HD camera quit working mid way through the day. When I open Zoom/FaceTime/Discord/Photo Booth/etc., the green camera light turns on for ~10 seconds, but the application shows a blank black screen for video input. After those ~10 seconds, the light goes off. FaceTime gives an error that there is no camera detected.

I thought it might be an outdated OS bug/security issue, so I updated to Ventura last night, but that did not solve the issue. Today, I've gone through all the steps listed here - If your built-in camera isn’t working on your Mac - Apple Support, and similar help pages. As a last resort, I clean installed my operating system. The camera still does not work.

FaceTime HD Camera (Built in) still shows up when I check About this Mac > System Report > Camera.

When I tried an external webcam, it worked properly, but I would prefer not to have to always carry it around with me.

Any help or insight into the problem would be greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 4:05 PM

It sounds like the camera has failed. Have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to provide you with a repair estimate.

Similar questions

1 reply

MacBook Pro 2017 Built-In Camera Stopped Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.