Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Camera not connected error. Please help!

Hi there. I am using a 2016 Macbook Pro 13" on MacOS 12.6.6. Recently, I tried booting up Zoom and other video call applications for work but all of them reported not finding a connected camera/webcam. This is strange because the webcam worked just fine a week ago. I have not tweaked with any system settings or folders. There is no physical damage done to my webcam, too. Assuming an error on the apps' part, I tested again with both Facetime and Photobooth but to no avail.

Restarting my computer and the SMC didn't work. Checking the Systems Information/Hardware/Camera said that there is no camera found (see attached). A cursory search online said that I might need to take a look at the Quicktime folder to see if there are any missing/misplaced files but I cannot seem to find a Quicktime folder in /Systems/Library. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2023 2:55 PM

huyvqhoang wrote:

Hi there. I am using a 2016 Macbook Pro 13" on MacOS 12.6.6. Recently, I tried booting up Zoom and other video call applications for work but all of them reported not finding a connected camera/webcam. This is strange because the webcam worked just fine a week ago. I have not tweaked with any system settings or folders. There is no physical damage done to my webcam, too. Assuming an error on the apps' part,

I tested again with both Facetime and Photobooth but to no avail.

Restarting my computer and the SMC didn't work. Checking the Systems Information/Hardware/Camera said that there is no camera found (see attached).

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/b4f511ea-5685-48ed-8ce4-44c5b423d262

If not recognized by the System Info as you screenshot clearly shows no ModelID or UniqueID present...

It would point towards a hardware issue...

You can use an iPhone as an alternative— this might be Ventura only, to be honest I am not sure...and see no reference to ealier macOS —which a 2016 does not qualify.

ref: Use your iPhone as a webcam on Mac - Apple Support

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

if it where a software issue the go to— on an Intel Mac would be NVRAM

resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2023 2:55 PM in response to huyvqhoang

huyvqhoang wrote:

Hi there. I am using a 2016 Macbook Pro 13" on MacOS 12.6.6. Recently, I tried booting up Zoom and other video call applications for work but all of them reported not finding a connected camera/webcam. This is strange because the webcam worked just fine a week ago. I have not tweaked with any system settings or folders. There is no physical damage done to my webcam, too. Assuming an error on the apps' part,

I tested again with both Facetime and Photobooth but to no avail.

Restarting my computer and the SMC didn't work. Checking the Systems Information/Hardware/Camera said that there is no camera found (see attached).

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/b4f511ea-5685-48ed-8ce4-44c5b423d262

If not recognized by the System Info as you screenshot clearly shows no ModelID or UniqueID present...

It would point towards a hardware issue...

You can use an iPhone as an alternative— this might be Ventura only, to be honest I am not sure...and see no reference to ealier macOS —which a 2016 does not qualify.

ref: Use your iPhone as a webcam on Mac - Apple Support

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

if it where a software issue the go to— on an Intel Mac would be NVRAM

resetting NVRAM/PRAM Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Camera not connected error. Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.