Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy and Paste Formula Numbers Version 6.1

Hi, I am simply trying to copy the exact same formula from one cell and paste it on an entire column but every time I copy+paste, the cells from the original formula shift. How do I keep the formula from shifting?

Example: copy this formula...

... On this cell...

... but instead, the formula shifts! How do I keep it from shifting?

Please help! Thank you!!

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 3:54 PM

Thank you so much! It worked!

I found another way to do it... click on the formula , click on the arrow pertaining to the cell, select "lock row" and "lock column"

Cheers! thanks!

3 replies

Aug 24, 2020 3:13 PM in response to danydrio93

You need to copy/paste the text of the formula, not the cell.

1. Double click on the cell to bring up the formula.
  2. Select all the text of the formula (I use CMD A keyboard shortcut).
  3. Copy (CMD C).
  4. Hit ESC to get out of the formula editor.
  5. Click on the destination cell.
  6. Type an = to bring up the formula editor
  7. Paste (CMD V) and hit Return.

It looks like a lot of steps only because I broke it down so far. It is actually pretty easy and quick.

If you would like to move the formula from one cell to another (which might be your end goal, I don't know),

1. Click on the cell
  2. Click and hold on the cell
  3. Drag it to a new location and drop it

It seems there should be a way to do what you are requesting using drag and drop but I don't know how. You can copy (not move) it to another cell if you hold OPTION before dropping it but it adjusts the formula. I haven't found a key that copies it without adjusting it.

Aug 24, 2020 9:22 PM in response to danydrio93

That will work but it is more steps and changes how the formula will fill down/right/up/left, which might not be an issue here but could be in the general case. I counted 10 clicks to change the two cell references from relative to absolute, plus a copy and paste. It would be even more clicks if there were more cell references in the formula.

Copy and Paste Formula Numbers Version 6.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.