Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repeated Crashing when saving files to finder

In various applications (Chrome, Safari, Outlook, Spark), i get random application freezing when trying to save a file. The program just becomes un-responsive to clicks, keystrokes, etc.

The only way to get out of it is to Force Quit the application. Weird thing though, is that the application is never listed as (unresponsive) in the Force Quit window.

Needless to say it is extremely frustrating when i have to save several files. It seems to happen a little less frequently when dragging files to the finder as opposed to 'save as...' but it still does happen.

I'm on Catalina 10.15.6. This has happened on this macbook and my previous macbook.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2020 5:26 AM

Being you had the problem on a different drive, this may not be the issue, but it sounds like something might be wrong with the drive. Have you run First Aid in Disk Utility to check the drive?

While in DU, check the S.M.A.R.T. status. You'll need to select "Show all devices" from the View button, then select the actual device in the list. It should say Verified.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2020 5:26 AM in response to spunkaroo

Being you had the problem on a different drive, this may not be the issue, but it sounds like something might be wrong with the drive. Have you run First Aid in Disk Utility to check the drive?

While in DU, check the S.M.A.R.T. status. You'll need to select "Show all devices" from the View button, then select the actual device in the list. It should say Verified.

Repeated Crashing when saving files to finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.