Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder Crashes upon opening Applications Folder?

Hello, today I ran into a new issue where Finder will crash whenever I try to open my applications folder. Sometimes previously closed finder tabs will reopen but the applications remains unusable. My knowledge of Macs and macOS is very limited so any and all help is welcome, and I am willing to learn. I have Etrecheck but am unsure how to link the results to this forum thread, apologies in advance.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2022 3:11 PM

First try starting your computer using Safe Mode as described in How to use safe mode on your Mac.

If the problem persists, How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report will explain how to post the results of an Etrecheck report.

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 8, 2022 1:36 PM in response to azerikashew

I was hoping someone else would reply to your EtreCheck report. Perhaps my subsequent remarks may inspire others to comment.

Try deleting the Finder Plist file located at: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist.

It appears to me that you installed, and used CCleaner. Try uninstalling CCleaner using the instructions provided by the developer. That installation, and use seems to have damaged your Finder.app, and short of reinstalling macOS Big Sur, I am uncertain of how to repair the damage.

If no one else replies to this thread, you may want to consider reinstalling macOS Big Sur, but be sure that you have a backup of your data before proceeding.

Mar 8, 2022 1:54 PM in response to azerikashew

It looks like the problem is your "EaseUS" backup software. It is crashing repeatedly. It may have some Finder extension that is taking Finder down with it. I recommend you uninstall this software.

The only way to remove these files is with official uninstallers or uninstallation instructions provided directly by the developer. Never use an “app zapper” or “clean up” tool to uninstall software. Never try to manually delete files in these hidden directories by hand. Do not use EtreCheck’s “Remove” buttons either. Those are only designed for adware and malware.

Mar 11, 2022 10:24 PM in response to Ferd II

How do I create a Time Machine backup and be sure that these harmful files don't transfer over? I do not want to start from scratch and cannot find the files in finder to exclude them from the back up?

Edit: I am fine with reinstalling the software, I apologize for my lack of proper articulation when it comes to restoring. I do not want to have a blank device when the reinstall is done, I would like to put the normal files back or restore my computer to where it was, without any of the harmful files or programs I unfortunately installed in hopes of fixing other errors, due to my lack of knowledge. Apologies again as this seems like computers 101 and I am a computer noob

Finder Crashes upon opening Applications Folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.