Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder freezes on macOS 11.3.1

An application like Finder crashes as soon as try to change the folder.

It seems to not respond and becomes completely unresponsive.

Updated macOS to 11.3.1 on 4-5-2021.

Not able to shut down or restart even after quitting it forcefully.

Also observed Applications like Firefox and Outlook freezing when trying to attach a document or video.

Finder freezes, when clicked on Box drive folder.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 8, 2021 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2021 8:44 AM

sidhvijaycg wrote:

Also observed Applications like Firefox and Outlook freezing when trying to attach a document or video.

reinstalling the macOS on top of your existing macOS to sort anomalies like yours

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2021 8:44 AM in response to sidhvijaycg

sidhvijaycg wrote:

reinstalling the macOS on top of your existing macOS to sort anomalies like yours

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

May 9, 2021 12:52 PM in response to sidhvijaycg

11.3.1 has completely broken Finder. I cannot scroll in my Downloads Finder window containing 1000's of files, it just freezes and your have to relaunch Finder and then get the same issue again and again. You can't select paths/folders also from the sidebar, same issue (window freezes and sometimes you get the beach ball SWOD).

I have reinstalled 11.3.1 from the App Store on-top and have reset NVRAM and run disk utility, nothing has fixed it and I can't downgrade to 11.3!

P.s. I don't have Box Drive or anything such like that, Finder just freezes during scroll with the trackpad. I have also deleted the finder plist and restarted. That didn't fix it either! I wish I hadn't bothered updating as Apple keep breaking things.

Help!!! :-/

May 10, 2021 4:34 AM in response to sidhvijaycg

..and they don't support rolling back to re-install a prior OS onto of an update. They broke my hard drive with Big Sur on it and constant kernel panics and blamed me, and now I spend another £700 on two SSD's and update and hey you broke something again so I can't work. Their support chat and Apple Care don't care at all and say it's always the users fault. Well, no Apple, it's your fault!!! Fix it!!! :-/

Finder freezes on macOS 11.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.