Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install Mojave on separate volume of Catalina drive

I’m currently running Catalina, but need to install Mojave on a separate volume on my hard drive in order to run some 32-bit apps.

Following directions in a Macworld article that purports to show how to do this, I created an APFS volume and named it Mojave. The article then said to download the desired installer. However, when I attempt to download the Mojave installer, I get this message:

This copy of the "install macOS" application is too old to be opened on this version of mac OS.

Is there a way to download the installer for an older OS on a newer system, or is there some other way to skin this cat? Seems like it ought to be possible.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 25, 2020 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2020 10:24 AM

You didn't mention what version of macOS your iMac came with. If it came with Mojave, you need to create a bootable installer of Mojave, boot from it, then install Mojave to the volume you created. If you have a 2020 iMac, it won't boot from Mojave.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

14 replies

Aug 25, 2020 2:47 PM in response to Ken Parsons

If you can't download Mojave installer because you are running Catalina, I'm not sure what to do.

I'm wondering if you could boot into Internet Recovery using cmd-shift-opt-R and install the OS that shipped with your Mac, boot from that, then install Mojave (if it didn't ship with Mojave).

I haven't tried that, though.

Your Mac would have had to ship with High Sierra or later to make this work, though, as the older OSes can't handle APFS.

I attempted it, but my Mac Mini shipped with Mountain Lion. I could see all the other disks, but not the APFS volumes, so I think it would work.

Aug 25, 2020 4:29 PM in response to Ken Parsons

Ken Parsons wrote:

And that brings me back to my original problem: I can't create the bootable installer, because I can't download the installer! The Macworld article glossed over this very same issue.

I see. The message you quoted in your first post…

"This copy of the "install macOS" application is too old to be opened on this version of mac OS."

is what you would see after the Mojave installer has downloaded and tries to open. You should see a file in the Applications folder "Install macOS Mojave". That's what you would use to create the bootable installer. If it's not there and you are using Safari to download the file, uncheck "Open "safe" files from Safari > Preferences > General". Then download once more.

Aug 25, 2020 5:13 PM in response to dialabrain

Actually, that message appears as soon as I click "Get" in the Mac App Store, and Software Update starts running. It prevents a download from occurring at all. The installer has never appeared in my Applications folder.

Strangely, I just tried it again, and now it's allowing me to download! I didn't do anything different from the past ten times that I've tried. I'll let you all know how it goes from here.

How to install Mojave on separate volume of Catalina drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.