Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install earlier version of macOS with current operating system Big Sur?

With the update of Catalina / Big Sur, I was no longer able to use my 32-bit applications, so I have been trying to find a way to install Mojave OS on a separate APFS volume on my MacBook Air. I'm currently running Big Sur.

I have attempted following a handful of Apple guides, and ultimately it seems like the general idea is to create a new APFS volume and install the earlier operating system. However, it doesn't seem to be so simple. I have downloaded the Mojave OS from the App Store, and after download, I receive a message that says Mojave is too old for the current operating system. I thought it would be possible to re-install the Mojave OS onto the newly created APFS volume using Recovery, but the only available option from Recovery appears to be re-installing the Big Sur OS.

Is it possible to have Mojave running on a separate volume? How should I go about installing this given the limitations of Big Sur? All advice is appreciated!

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 8:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 8:46 PM

Create a bootable USB installer for Mojave.

Boot from that and install on the new volume you create.

To switch between OSes, hold down the Option key on restart. The Startup Disk may not work going from Mojave to Big Sur.

1 reply

How to install earlier version of macOS with current operating system Big Sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.