Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does Catalina slow down the MacBook Pro Mid 2012 model?

can I upgrade to Catalina OS from High Sierra? If I do does it slow down my Macbook pro Mid 2012 ?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 2:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 2:51 AM

1. Make sure the system has AT LEAST 8GB OF RAM. 4GB would be just utterly painful.
  2. Look through the list of Applications in your “About this Mac” menu, then click on “System Profiler” and look for “Applications”. The last column should read 64-Bit (intel). Any Application in that column with a NO will NOT function in macOS Catalina, which will force you to upgrade the application or stay on High Sierra to allow you to continue to use the Application.
  3. I would STRONGLY URGE you to upgrade the internal hard drive to a sufficiently large SSD. You’d want larger than what you have currently in the system if at all possible, or consider finding a way to move documents, Desktop Folder and the like up to iCloud or Google Drive, depending on the availability of storage.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2020 2:51 AM in response to simhamurthy

1. Make sure the system has AT LEAST 8GB OF RAM. 4GB would be just utterly painful.
  2. Look through the list of Applications in your “About this Mac” menu, then click on “System Profiler” and look for “Applications”. The last column should read 64-Bit (intel). Any Application in that column with a NO will NOT function in macOS Catalina, which will force you to upgrade the application or stay on High Sierra to allow you to continue to use the Application.
  3. I would STRONGLY URGE you to upgrade the internal hard drive to a sufficiently large SSD. You’d want larger than what you have currently in the system if at all possible, or consider finding a way to move documents, Desktop Folder and the like up to iCloud or Google Drive, depending on the availability of storage.

does Catalina slow down the MacBook Pro Mid 2012 model?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.