I have a 2014 MacBook Air 6,2. Can I upgrade to using mac OS Catalina? I have 4 GB of Memory. Not sure about storage.

I have a 2014 MacBook Air 6,2. Some of my third party apps are not longer being supported. Can I upgrade my OS to macOS Catalina? I have 4 GB of Memory. Not sure about storage.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 12, 2023 4:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2023 5:47 PM

A MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014) can run Catalina, or even Big Sur.

Catalina isn't one of the "most recent three" major versions of macOS any more – while Big Sur is, if only for a very short time – so you might upgrade to Catalina only to find that it wasn't enough to let you run current applications from, say, Microsoft and Adobe.

Big Sur will run on a Mac with 4 GB of RAM, but you might find that amount constraining. According to Apple's technical specifications, if you are upgrading from High Sierra, you will need at least 35.5 GB of free storage to install the upgrade. Note that neither Catalina or Big Sur will run 32-bit applications. You may want to check if there are any of those that you will need to upgrade or replace before installing the upgrade.

macOS Big Sur - Technical Specifications

The App Store normally hides old versions of macOS, so to upgrade, go here:

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2023 5:47 PM in response to MJS2014

A MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014) can run Catalina, or even Big Sur.

Catalina isn't one of the "most recent three" major versions of macOS any more – while Big Sur is, if only for a very short time – so you might upgrade to Catalina only to find that it wasn't enough to let you run current applications from, say, Microsoft and Adobe.

Big Sur will run on a Mac with 4 GB of RAM, but you might find that amount constraining. According to Apple's technical specifications, if you are upgrading from High Sierra, you will need at least 35.5 GB of free storage to install the upgrade. Note that neither Catalina or Big Sur will run 32-bit applications. You may want to check if there are any of those that you will need to upgrade or replace before installing the upgrade.

macOS Big Sur - Technical Specifications

The App Store normally hides old versions of macOS, so to upgrade, go here:

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

I have a 2014 MacBook Air 6,2. Can I upgrade to using mac OS Catalina? I have 4 GB of Memory. Not sure about storage.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.