Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NTFS and exFAT COMPATIABILITY ON IPAD PRO

i have a external hard drive formatted with NTFS and full of data. is there any chance to use it with ipad pro without formatting in exFAT and losing data

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 4:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 5:25 AM

Sorry, no. NTFS is a Microsoft proprietary format - that is not supported by iPadOS.

To be recognised by iPadOS, the attached USB storage device must be formatted to FAT, FAT32, exFAT or APFS+ with a single partition. As the iPad has limited power capabilities, dependent upon the Storage Device, an external power source is often required.

If you have one of the newest iPad Pro models, with a USB-C connector, you may need to utilise a powered USB hub (i.e., it has its own source of power) - connecting both the iPad Pro and the storage device to ports on the hub.

I hope this clarification is helpful to you.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2020 5:25 AM in response to gurpreetchhatwal

Sorry, no. NTFS is a Microsoft proprietary format - that is not supported by iPadOS.

To be recognised by iPadOS, the attached USB storage device must be formatted to FAT, FAT32, exFAT or APFS+ with a single partition. As the iPad has limited power capabilities, dependent upon the Storage Device, an external power source is often required.

If you have one of the newest iPad Pro models, with a USB-C connector, you may need to utilise a powered USB hub (i.e., it has its own source of power) - connecting both the iPad Pro and the storage device to ports on the hub.

I hope this clarification is helpful to you.

Aug 26, 2020 4:58 AM in response to gurpreetchhatwal

gurpreetchhatwal wrote:

i have a external hard drive formatted with NTFS and full of data. is there any chance to use it with ipad pro without formatting in exFAT and losing data

Looking at this article, it would seem no directly. You may be able to connect to a Mac that is connected to the external drive. the Mac would handle the file format translation.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/ipad/ipad1c415e32/ipados

NTFS and exFAT COMPATIABILITY ON IPAD PRO

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.