Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I share files between iMac on Catalina and macbook pro on Big Sur?

My late 2012 iMac is not compatible with Big Sur. Will there be a problem sharing files with my MacBook Pro when I update it with Big Sur.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 7:25 AM

Depends on what exactly you mean by "Sharing files".

How are you sharing them exactly?

There should be no issues moving files using a USB drive, or over Airdrop or the network or even by email no. Whether an App running on Catalina and an App running Big Sur can open the same file will depend more on the app not the operating system as much.

In general there should be no issues, bit until people can test a large number of applications on Big Sur there's no way to be 100% sure.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2020 7:25 AM in response to Byronpen

Depends on what exactly you mean by "Sharing files".

How are you sharing them exactly?

There should be no issues moving files using a USB drive, or over Airdrop or the network or even by email no. Whether an App running on Catalina and an App running Big Sur can open the same file will depend more on the app not the operating system as much.

In general there should be no issues, bit until people can test a large number of applications on Big Sur there's no way to be 100% sure.

can I share files between iMac on Catalina and macbook pro on Big Sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.