Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27 inch 2020 - Screen Glitch (Random Lines Appear on Screen)

I've just received my new iMac and noticed that from time to time a line glitch appears on my screen.

It's completely random, I thought it was related to intensive work/heat but sometimes even when the computer is idle I see the line on the screen.

It was really hard to capture it because it's so random, but I manage to record the moment a glitch happens. Unfortunately there's a lot of white background on it which makes it hard to see, but it goes across the entire screen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw8Z4mVgYgE

The iMac is running fine, I ran all sorts of benchmarks for CPU/GPU and it's all OK, but from time to time I see this annoying line on my screen.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 7:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2020 2:27 PM

Try the following: download and apply the macOS Catalina 10.15.7 Combo Update   

It fixes this issue:

• Addresses a graphic issue that may occur on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020) with Radeon Pro 5700 XT

249 replies

Sep 5, 2020 8:29 AM in response to thiskiwicanfly

Apple does publish some acoustic benchmarks, for idle at least you can find the measured dB values at the bottom of each product spec:

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP821

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP790

I think I've seen somewhere on their website also a comparison of acoustic performance for peak CPU usage, but can't find it now.

Either way, by the raw numbers the iMac 2020 is supposed to be quieter than the iMac 2019, but my experience is the very opposite. The 2019 model I had was dead quiet when idle or when browsing in Safari. Whereas the 2020 model just hums here audibly while I'm writing this in Safari and have 4 more tabs open and nothing else running. Same low temperature, same RPM and same low CPU usage.

I've no scientific proof for this, but my theory is that the 2020 iMac is perceived as louder perhaps because of the "different shape of the sound". From iMac 2020 they've removed the mechanical drive thus left a lot of empty space in its place: https://youtu.be/GIHSyamWnh4?t=63. I think this might be causing some sort of echoing of the fan noise. For me personally the 2020 iMac sounds more "tinny", or as some other commenter said, more "coarse". The actual dB values might be same or lower, but the sound itself is more annoying to my ears lol.

And because of that, I decided to keep my i9 actually. I don't think the i7 would be any quieter in regards of ambient idle noise. And as for the peak CPU fan noise — I don't really care if it peaks 43dB a second or two later or earlier, it's loud anyway and I'll take the 10% gain in compiling time if it's available.

Sep 25, 2020 3:58 PM in response to thiskiwicanfly

You should be able to find info specific to NZ (or whichever country anybody else is interested in) from here: https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/statutoryrights.html

It’s how I discovered that being as though I’m in the UK, I’m covered against my Mac breaking down for SIX years! Meaning that Apple Care essentially just becomes accidental damage insurance

Sep 2, 2020 12:01 PM in response to Bunn_pt

For those trying to reproduce the issue, in my case it behaves like this:

• regular occurrence every 30-40 minutes, without any special events executed
  • if I watch YouTube in Safari it can occur more often
  • if I watch QuickTime video it can occur more often
  • if I’m on a (Slack) video call it can occur every 5 minutes

None of these are reproducible reliably though. Not sure what’s the exact trigger.

For those trying to get rid of the issue and wait until an official fix is out, on MacRumours it’s been confirmed that it doesn’t occur when:

• you change your screen resolution to something else from default (SwitchResX has good options)
  • or when you connect a second display

Jan 4, 2021 8:20 AM in response to Bunn_pt

my 2020 27" with 16GB has so many problems I dont know where to start. My old 2010 with just 1GB lasted 10 years without a single issue and was, imho faster than this POS.

1. will not wake up after monitor sleeps, crashes and recovers only after holding down the power button for 5 seconds
  2. Memory hog on any video running in Safari causing a Safari crash and restart
  3. Blue-tooth latency and automatic typing of empty spaces at 30 to 40 key presses that cannot be backspaced
  4. Blue-tooth connectivity loss and recovered multiple times a day
  5. Since the introduction of B.S. a straight forward recovery from a Time Machine backup is no longer possible, you have to do a clean install and manually re-install every piece of software using the immigration assistance.

I have downgraded to High Sierra on a brand new iMac to resolve a majority of issues but of course I cannot update my Adobe or Apple products beyond that version as well

Apple went two steps backwards on this device if you ask me.

Sep 7, 2020 4:01 PM in response to Bunn_pt

I'm on my second iMac 27 inch 2020. The first one was shutting down intermittently an also had the glitch line appearing as well. I returned it it for an exchange which I received less than a week ago, and this one also has the glitch line that appears without warning. It flickers several times and then goes away and continues to happen. The still is from a video I capture with my phone while I was migrating while setting it up for the first time. This continues to happen to this day no matter what I am doing on the computer.

Sep 10, 2020 1:20 PM in response to gurman42

Indeed, that is currently what I have. Even if it's a soldered card, and you're definitely right with that some damage still might have occurred during shipping unfortunately. Although, it seems a lot of people are having issues... Kind of makes me think there might be something wrong with the soldering process itself, but I'm just speculating.

Aug 31, 2020 3:58 AM in response to Bunn_pt

Same issue with the white line here on macOS 10.15.6 with my AMD Radeon 5700XT 16GB Ram.

Not noticed it on Windows 10 yet.

SMC & NVRAM-Reset didn't help. Issue persists.

Also stressed the mac but it did not affect the issue. Seems to happen without any special impact.

Have one panic-shutdown-cause but I think this one was software-related.

Looking forward!

Greetings

Martin

iMac 27 inch 2020 - Screen Glitch (Random Lines Appear on Screen)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.