Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I migrate my iPhoto library to Photos after running both apps for some time?

How do I migrate my iPhoto library to Photos after running both apps for some time?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 7:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 7:07 AM

DixieDog14 wrote:

Thank you. What happens to my iPhoto albums?

It will depend on the kind of albums. Here is a detailed list where you will find your iPhoto content in Photos: How Photos handles content and metadata from iPhoto and Aperture - Apple Support

Everything Photos can migrate from iPhoto will appear in the sidebar under My Albums in the folder as Niel pointed out But Photos cannot reproduce the complete structure you created in iPhoto.

• The standard albums will appear in the My Albums sidebar with the same name as before.
  • The smart albums will be problematic, if Photos cannot recreate them, because they are based on criteria that Photos cannot reproduce.

More details are here: Find your pictures or albums after you migrate a library to Photos - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2020 7:07 AM in response to DixieDog14

DixieDog14 wrote:

Thank you. What happens to my iPhoto albums?

It will depend on the kind of albums. Here is a detailed list where you will find your iPhoto content in Photos: How Photos handles content and metadata from iPhoto and Aperture - Apple Support

Everything Photos can migrate from iPhoto will appear in the sidebar under My Albums in the folder as Niel pointed out But Photos cannot reproduce the complete structure you created in iPhoto.

• The standard albums will appear in the My Albums sidebar with the same name as before.
  • The smart albums will be problematic, if Photos cannot recreate them, because they are based on criteria that Photos cannot reproduce.

More details are here: Find your pictures or albums after you migrate a library to Photos - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.