Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto library

how do I migrate my iphoto library with the old iPhoto and the new so that all of the pictures are together

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 3:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 1:08 AM

You can only convert each iPhoto Library individually to a new Photos Library, as described by Yer_Man. You can switch between Photos Libraries by quitting Photos, then double clicking the library you want to open.

I see, you have been reading this document "If Photos won't open a library that you already migrated". Photos will migrate each iPhoto Library only once. When it migrates a library, it changes the filename extension of the old "iPhoto Library.photolibrary" to "iPhoto Library.migratedphotolibrary". This tells it, that the library has been already migrated. If you need to migrate it again, because you did not keep the new Photos Library, change the filename extension of the iPhoto Library back to ".photolibrary" and you can migrate it again.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2021 1:08 AM in response to browne1

You can only convert each iPhoto Library individually to a new Photos Library, as described by Yer_Man. You can switch between Photos Libraries by quitting Photos, then double clicking the library you want to open.

I see, you have been reading this document "If Photos won't open a library that you already migrated". Photos will migrate each iPhoto Library only once. When it migrates a library, it changes the filename extension of the old "iPhoto Library.photolibrary" to "iPhoto Library.migratedphotolibrary". This tells it, that the library has been already migrated. If you need to migrate it again, because you did not keep the new Photos Library, change the filename extension of the iPhoto Library back to ".photolibrary" and you can migrate it again.

iPhoto library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.