Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Combining IPhoto & Photo Libraries

What is the easiest way for a dummy to merge the old IPhoto library with the Photo library?

Posted on Jan 4, 2022 5:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 8:31 AM

The first thing to do is launch Photos with the option key held down. From the dialog, choose your iPhoto Library. Photos will create a new library with your iPhoto Media.

Use Photos to make sure that your images are there, and double click on a sample to make sure you can edit them.

Next get FatCat softwares (paid) PowerPhotos. This will let you combine libraries and perform other maintenance.

https://www.fatcatsoftware.com

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2022 8:31 AM in response to Mitzkei77

The first thing to do is launch Photos with the option key held down. From the dialog, choose your iPhoto Library. Photos will create a new library with your iPhoto Media.

Use Photos to make sure that your images are there, and double click on a sample to make sure you can edit them.

Next get FatCat softwares (paid) PowerPhotos. This will let you combine libraries and perform other maintenance.

https://www.fatcatsoftware.com

Jan 19, 2022 8:52 AM in response to Mitzkei77

I read your response on moving iPhoto to Photo. And I thank you. My consternation is I have already moved many events into albums in Photo. However, Photo doesn't appear to have near the functionality of iPhoto. The two items I really miss are:

1) The numerical identifier assigned to each photo in iPhoto and is readily viewed when looking at photos. This is one of its most important features. Is there a way this identifier can be turned on? 2) by scrolling over the event, the contents are quickly revealed.

In spite of many peoples support of Photo, I can't stand its organizational structure. For me creating events is far more efficient and useful for the way I do business, and is the reason I haven't upgraded my Mac since Catalina

Jan 19, 2022 8:59 AM in response to Charles Niemi

The numerical identifier

Or file name, which is assigned by your camera. Photos defaults to showing the Title rather than the filename. There ae scripts about that will write the filename to the title slot.

Events, as a concept, don't exist in Photos.

If Photos does not meet your needs then use a different app. It's not compulsory in any way and there are plenty of alternatives. What is clear is that iPhoto is dead almost seven years now, and it's not coming back.

Combining IPhoto & Photo Libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.