Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot make a bootable USB drive for El Capitan

I have upgraded my 2009 iMac to a lovely Late 2015 5K Retina machine and I have struggled my way through the migration from the old to the new. Now I am following the advice to erase the disk on the old machine so if someone wanted it, it would be out-of-the-box for them. I have fallen at the first hurdle as using Disk Utility from restart and Option R fails as the disk will not unmount. I have therefore tried to follow the next advice and make a bootable USB drive with OSX El Capitan and I am failing there too as when trying to create it, Terminal tells me 'createinstallmedia: command not found'. I am not terribly familiar with terminal command so have been relying on Apple Support but unfortunately it always assumes everything will work and mine doesn't.

I have downloaded the InstallMacOSX.dmg which is in Downloads and upon double clicking it I have a window with InstallMacOSX.pkg in it. I have tried the

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app

command and this is when I learn that the command is not found. I am not convinced that I have the right things in the right places so any advice any of you Apple Geniuses can give me would be gratefully received. All I want to do is erase my disk and put my old Mac back in its box.

Martin Elford’s 21.5" iMac

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 8:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 8:41 PM

Ok so you have InstallMacOSX.pkg, you need to open that to create the Install OS X El Capitan.app which will be

in your Applications folder. follow these instructions

The next section can only be done on a mac that is capable of running El Capitan,

a mac that came preinstalled with an OS later than El Capitan will refuse to do the next bit.

When downloaded open to InstallMacOSX.pkg, double-click on

that and an installation window will open, this does not install El Capitan

but converts the InstallMacOSX.pkg to the Install OS X El Capitan.app which 

you will find in your Applications folder, it should be 6.2GBs in size.

(If the installation window asks which disk you want to install to, you must pick 

the disk that you are booted to at the time. Not any internal or external disk that 

you want to eventually install El Capitan on, that is for later.)

With the Install OS X El Capitan.app in your Applications folder and a USB called MyVolume

plugged in to your mac you are now ready to create a bootable USB installer.

Open Terminal and paste in this command,

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app

press Return

enter your Password

press Return

follow the prompts.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2020 8:41 PM in response to AppleElf

Ok so you have InstallMacOSX.pkg, you need to open that to create the Install OS X El Capitan.app which will be

in your Applications folder. follow these instructions

The next section can only be done on a mac that is capable of running El Capitan,

a mac that came preinstalled with an OS later than El Capitan will refuse to do the next bit.

When downloaded open to InstallMacOSX.pkg, double-click on

that and an installation window will open, this does not install El Capitan

but converts the InstallMacOSX.pkg to the Install OS X El Capitan.app which 

you will find in your Applications folder, it should be 6.2GBs in size.

(If the installation window asks which disk you want to install to, you must pick 

the disk that you are booted to at the time. Not any internal or external disk that 

you want to eventually install El Capitan on, that is for later.)

With the Install OS X El Capitan.app in your Applications folder and a USB called MyVolume

plugged in to your mac you are now ready to create a bootable USB installer.

Open Terminal and paste in this command,

press Return

enter your Password

press Return

follow the prompts.

Cannot make a bootable USB drive for El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.