Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't connect MacBook Air to internet using wifi through my iPhone

! can't connect MacBook Air to internet using wifi through my iPhone. I can connect to the iPhone via the Personal Hotspot, but not to the Internet. My iPhone connects to the Internet directly through Safari, but the MacBook Air cannot!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 1:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 3:52 PM

I have solved the problem. There was a proxy in my network System Preference. When I deleted that, I was able to connect through my iPhone. I realised when my partner could connect and I couldn't, the issue must be with my computer and, as I had already replaced the OS, it might be a preference. Thank you for your help!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2020 3:52 PM in response to wadjela

I have solved the problem. There was a proxy in my network System Preference. When I deleted that, I was able to connect through my iPhone. I realised when my partner could connect and I couldn't, the issue must be with my computer and, as I had already replaced the OS, it might be a preference. Thank you for your help!

Aug 27, 2020 2:32 AM in response to wadjela

wadjela wrote:

My iPhone connects to the Internet directly through Safari, but the MacBook Air cannot!

If iPhone has internet does not mean your Hotspot is enabled by your Carrier. It simply indicates you have sufficient data plan.

First are you able to enable hotspot on your iPhone?

Call Forwarding, Call Waiting, Call Merge, Conference Call, Hotspot, VoiceMail all are carrier Specific feature. Contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider) The agency who issued the SIM / eSIM to you

Aug 27, 2020 5:42 AM in response to SravanKrA

I use my iPhone to connectanother MacBook Air, and my partner just connected his MacBook Air through my

iPhone. My service allows connection. My MacBook Air had this problem in thepast, but suddenly started asking me if I wanted to join the iPhone networkwhen no other WiFi was available. And then just stopped. That was when Ireinstalled both ios and Catalina on both machines, reconnected the network,etc.

Can't connect MacBook Air to internet using wifi through my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.