Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

personal hotspot won't connect to internet

I can connect my MacBook Air to personal hotspot with my iPhone 11 but it will not connect to internet. It used to work fine now it doesn't. I've run all the diagnostic scans I can think of and updated all systems. Any suggestions?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2021 8:41 AM

Use these steps first

Restart the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot and the other device that needs to connect to Personal Hotspot. Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS. On the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot, go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap Reset Network Settings.

If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi

The Hotspot is a carrier-specific feature. Contact your carrier, if it is not appearing on your device.

Meanwhile...

Check the following

1. Network coverage and stability
  2. Data Balance
  3. On your windows (See if WiFi Auto Joins is enabled)
  4. Also, check if you have any stronger WiFi signal around your computer.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2021 8:41 AM in response to tyshrimp

Use these steps first

Restart the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot and the other device that needs to connect to Personal Hotspot. Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS. On the iPhone or iPad that provides Personal Hotspot, go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap Reset Network Settings.

If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi

The Hotspot is a carrier-specific feature. Contact your carrier, if it is not appearing on your device.

Meanwhile...

Check the following

1. Network coverage and stability
  2. Data Balance
  3. On your windows (See if WiFi Auto Joins is enabled)
  4. Also, check if you have any stronger WiFi signal around your computer.

Oct 27, 2021 7:56 PM in response to tyshrimp

I tried all the solutions posted online, and I contacted Apple support. Apple support, after easy troubleshooting, told me it's the problem due to carieer. Unfortunately, I later found out that's not the truth.

Coincidentally, I've got an iphone XS and an iphone 13 promax on hand with diffrent version of IOS and different carrier. Basically, it took me 10 minutes to keep switching sim card into different devices, and use different devices(apple and microsoft) to connect two different phones seperately.

The answer is actually fairly simple. You just simply go to setting, general, about, change your device name, and it works.

personal hotspot won't connect to internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.