Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers for macOS & iPadOS: Cascaded Drop Down, Input Form, Write-Button

Dear Apple Community,

A friend and me are currently working on a Numbers Document for Time Tracking.

We ran into some issues while creating the document and would like to have your help.

1. Is there a possibility in Numbers to have a Welcome and Input Page, where the user fills out a form and the form is then saved to a database on a different sheet? The data we’re referring to is Names, Times, Tasks, Location etc. Is this possible in Numbers?
  2. For 1, is it possible to add a write-button such that, when pressed by the user, the information is written to a Database namely a table on another sheet within the same file?
  3. We want to have pull-down menus that are cascaded for the user to select and input data e.g. a specific of a task. For example we have three tables (Department, Project Management, Project Risk Management) and we first want to select Department, then the specific department i.e. Operations (or Project Management) and afterwards a specific sub-task e.g. Project Risk Management. It’s mandatory that this is cascaded from Table A, to B, to C (Example). How can this be done within Numbers?

I am open for questions and can post pictures if required.

Best greetings from Germany and thanks in advance for any possibilities.

Stefan & Stefan

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 6:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 6:35 AM

What you describes seems more akin to what a database front-end app would do than to what a spreadsheet app like Numbers can do.

1. Numbers for iPadOS has simple forms that facilitate entry of data into an associated table. Numbers for Mac, with the larger screen area available, does not.
  2. Numbers does not have 'buttons' that trigger an action. You could, however, activate a script via a keyboard-shortcut to copy data to a table on another sheet.
  3. Numbers does not support cascading drop-downs such as you can do in Excel with 'data validation.' There are some workarounds that approximate the effect, but they are cumbersome.

My general impression from your description is that Numbers may not be the best tool, if these features are important to what you are trying to do.

SG

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2020 6:35 AM in response to CommunitySturz

What you describes seems more akin to what a database front-end app would do than to what a spreadsheet app like Numbers can do.

1. Numbers for iPadOS has simple forms that facilitate entry of data into an associated table. Numbers for Mac, with the larger screen area available, does not.
  2. Numbers does not have 'buttons' that trigger an action. You could, however, activate a script via a keyboard-shortcut to copy data to a table on another sheet.
  3. Numbers does not support cascading drop-downs such as you can do in Excel with 'data validation.' There are some workarounds that approximate the effect, but they are cumbersome.

My general impression from your description is that Numbers may not be the best tool, if these features are important to what you are trying to do.

SG

Aug 31, 2020 5:46 AM in response to SGIII

SGIII wrote:

SG

Hello SG,

thanks for your fast reply.

You‘re right, it‘s more a database frontend

1. I am wondering how the iPadOS forms work, we have MBP and iPads available. So we could create it on our iPadOS devices.
  2. Thanks for the Information, we will take a look into the manual for Numbers.
  3. Okay, this might be an issue, because this Time Tracking is for PM and requires a lot of cascading.

What‘s your suggested solution. A new app in Swift? Or do you have other applications in mind that can do this?

Stefan

Aug 31, 2020 6:21 AM in response to Yellowbox

Hello Ian,

Thanks for your swift response.

Regarding item 3, here is a screenshot from within Numbers that may help to illustrate our scenario that we desire to implement. The different levels of hierarchy are top-level, level 1, level 2 etc. going from highest to sub-levels.

Please let us know if with these pictures you can suggest a method of implementation. If you need further information or have questions, please let us know.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Stefan

Aug 27, 2020 8:23 AM in response to CommunitySturz

Hi Stefan & Stefan,

Your aim 3 is possible in Numbers.

CommunitySturz wrote:

"3. We want to have pull-down menus that are cascaded for the user to select and input data e.g. a specific of a task. For example we have three tables (Department, Project Management, Project Risk Management) and we first want to select Department, then the specific department i.e. Operations (or Project Management) and afterwards a specific sub-task e.g. Project Risk Management. It’s mandatory that this is cascaded from Table A, to B, to C (Example). How can this be done within Numbers?

I am open for questions and can post pictures if required.

Best greetings from Germany and thanks in advance for any possibilities.

Stefan & Stefan"

Numbers can do what you ask in question 3.

Please post pictures.

I do not have answers to questions 1 and 2 for Numbers on a Mac. Numbers on a Mac does not have forms. Forms exist only in Numbers for iOS (iPad, iPhone).

Greetings from Australia!

Regards,

Ian.

Aug 31, 2020 8:45 AM in response to CommunitySturz

FileMaker can do what you describe.

I've had good look with some projects using Ninox, which is less expensive, but still feature rich.

These both require a significant investment in time.

You might also try something like Airtable to see if it meets your needs.

The open source LibreOffice has a database module, but I'm not sure how much it allows collaboration, and it may require Java on your Mac.

SG

Numbers for macOS & iPadOS: Cascaded Drop Down, Input Form, Write-Button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.