Can we now maintain popup lists in auto-sortable sheets that displays in another sheet?

I need to build a SS with a main page with numerous columns, each containing popup lists of

a hundred items or more,

another column filled in their their associated costs

another their dimensions, etc

Spreadsheet most likely to built on M2 mini, some editing on iPad or phone, used on all three. Maybe turn into an app

I want those columns to get their data from separate sheets I would do data entry in (or pull data from web) and need be able to add to those lists so they stay auto sorted, alphabetized or by # when appearing on the main page,

with a final column on the main sheet displaying calculated results based on what the user chooses from the popups in the previous columns

(can I do this in Numbers or do I need a database generating reports?)

I have basic skills in Numbers, Excel (hate it but sheets are somewhat easy) and did simple flat and relational databases many years ago.

I DON'T CODE...

Any advice appreciated.

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 1:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 11:49 PM

Hi exMacEmp,

Maybe this is not what you are after, but If you can select all Pop-Ups at once, it is possible to edit all those Pop-Ups at once. If they are contiguous in the same column or row, it is easy to select them all at once. For example:

Not automatic in Numbers. This requires some user input.

Regards,

Ian.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2023 11:49 PM in response to exMacEmp

Hi exMacEmp,

Maybe this is not what you are after, but If you can select all Pop-Ups at once, it is possible to edit all those Pop-Ups at once. If they are contiguous in the same column or row, it is easy to select them all at once. For example:

Not automatic in Numbers. This requires some user input.

Regards,

Ian.

Jul 5, 2023 4:55 PM in response to exMacEmp

If your desire is to create a list of data in a column and have pop up menus that automatically include all those items and any new items you add later, it doesn't work like that in Numbers. You can do it in Excel, though.

In Numbers, a pop up menu is a static list. You can create one from a column of data but it will not be not tied to that column of data. If you change an item in the column or sort it or add to it or delete any items or make any other changes, the pop up menu remains unchanged. Also, each cell with a pop up menu is a separate entity with its own pop up menu. Editing a pop up menu in one cell does not change the pop up menu in any other cells that have the "same" pop up menu. With some manual labor you can update pop-up menus to include new items or take away items or to have the list re-sorted, but it is not fun.

Excel uses Data Validation to make their menus. Data validation can be tied to a column of data and the menu will reflect the changes made in that column.

Jul 5, 2023 6:57 PM in response to Badunit

Thank you for confirming I still can’t do this in Numbers (I was hoping the latest upgrade might help but I guess not)

I’m going to try one of the open source office clones before falling back to Excel, which I can’t stand b/c of MS’ terrible privacy policy (they want access to content just to enable contextual help menus…)

do you or anyone else have any last thoughts on whether my project might be done better in a database instead of a spreadsheet?

thx again.

Can we now maintain popup lists in auto-sortable sheets that displays in another sheet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.