Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help please, iCloud for Windows - Outlook default profile setup and configuration

I have been fighting an install of iCloud for Windows for weeks. No matter which Windows user is selected when installing iCloud for Windows, when it comes time to integrate with Outlook, it aborts and says "Outlook doesn't have a default profile defined" which is poppycock. Outlook only has one profile and it is the default.

The last time I did this was years ago, the last time I bought a new machine. Back then you downloaded iCloud for Windows from Apple, now you download from Microsoft which my gut is telling me is part of the problem. As long as it was Apple intellectual property it worked. I suspect Microsoft felt they needed iCloud under their roof...I'm frustrated.

I have created new profiles in Outlook and set them as default, added all email account to the new profile only to have iCloud abort again.

I need help please. This feels like a bug, a bug that I am stuck in, a bug that I suspect other users have experienced.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Windows, 10

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 12:35 PM

Hey DRW3309,

Thanks for participating in Apple Communities!

It sounds like you've been running into trouble when trying to setup iCloud for Windows but only when it comes to the step where it's integrating with Outlook. We understand the need to have everything that you'd like connected to iCloud and we'll do everything we can to assist with this.

Since it sounds like the error is directing to Outlook, let's start with the steps found in Setup cannot continue because Outlook isn't configured to have a default profile.

If that doesn't resolve your issue, let us know which exact version of Windows and Outlook you're running and we'll proceed from there.

Regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2020 12:35 PM in response to DRW3309

Hey DRW3309,

Thanks for participating in Apple Communities!

It sounds like you've been running into trouble when trying to setup iCloud for Windows but only when it comes to the step where it's integrating with Outlook. We understand the need to have everything that you'd like connected to iCloud and we'll do everything we can to assist with this.

Since it sounds like the error is directing to Outlook, let's start with the steps found in Setup cannot continue because Outlook isn't configured to have a default profile.

If that doesn't resolve your issue, let us know which exact version of Windows and Outlook you're running and we'll proceed from there.

Regards.

Aug 29, 2020 6:58 AM in response to brenden dv

Hello and thank you for the assistance. If you search the web it is evident that I'm not the only one encountering this issue. The good news is I found a work around that got me going for all user accounts on this PC:

1. I had found the narrative provided by the link you share and followed it meticulously over and over again expecting different results each time but to no avail.
    1. I'll save the details of all the different rabbit holes I went down trying to get iCloud for Windows to integrate with Outlook
      1. Reinstall of Windows 10
      2. Multiple uninstall Office and reinstall Office.
  2. I am running Windows 10
    1. Version 2004
    2. OS Build 19041.487
  3. I am using Outlook that comes packaged with Office 2019

Here is the "work around" that solved my issue, I suspect the root cause still exists.

• Use Control Panel
    • Click on "Mail"
    • Click on "Show Profiles"
    • Click on "Add" to create a new Profile.
    • Add one email account to the new Profile.
    • Turn on the radio button "Prompt for Profile to be used"
    • Save an close Control Panel.
  • Open Outlook
    • When prompted pick the new profile
    • Finish iCloud for Windows install.
      • ***poof*** clean install.
      • Confirm iCloud for Windows integration with Outlook is complete
    • Close Outlook.
  • Open Control Panel.
    • Delete the old profile.
    • Close Control panel.
  • Reopen Outlook
    • Add the rest of your email accounts.

Help please, iCloud for Windows - Outlook default profile setup and configuration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.