Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photo Optimising

Hello!

I just bought an iPhone 11. Before I was using an iPhone 7 and I run out of storage so I turned on Optimise iPhone Storage in Photos. Now on my new iPhone I can see all the photso which are uploaded to iCloud. With the new phone I no longer have storage problem so i thought that I will turn off Optimise iPhone Storage, but I am afraid that it will download all the pictures that I store in iCloud. I want to keep the photos I took with my prevous phone in the cloud but I want to store the new ones which I took with my new phone on my phones hard drive.

What should I do? :/

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 10:17 AM

FKristóf wrote:

Hello!
With the new phone I no longer have storage problem so i thought that I will turn off Optimise iPhone Storage, but I am afraid that it will download all the pictures that I store in iCloud.

Turning off the 'Optimize Phone Storage' feature will indeed download the originals to the device providing you have enough storage space on the device to accommodate them.

I want to keep the photos I took with my prevous phone in the cloud but I want to store the new ones which I took with my new phone on my phones hard drive.

Not possible with iCloud Photos turned on so this is something you will have to decide, i.e. whether or not you wish to turn that feature off and store all of the photos on the device.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2020 10:17 AM in response to FKristóf

FKristóf wrote:

Hello!
With the new phone I no longer have storage problem so i thought that I will turn off Optimise iPhone Storage, but I am afraid that it will download all the pictures that I store in iCloud.

Turning off the 'Optimize Phone Storage' feature will indeed download the originals to the device providing you have enough storage space on the device to accommodate them.

I want to keep the photos I took with my prevous phone in the cloud but I want to store the new ones which I took with my new phone on my phones hard drive.

Not possible with iCloud Photos turned on so this is something you will have to decide, i.e. whether or not you wish to turn that feature off and store all of the photos on the device.

iCloud Photo Optimising

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.