Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes and Family Sharing

Hello!

my child just redeemed a iTunes gift card on their account, which is managed by me in family sharing. They proceeded to try and purchase some songs off iTunes, but when prompted for payment, it does not let them select the 25.00 credit balance of said card, it only allows them to select the visa linked to my account. Why? And how do I change this? Thanks!

iPhone SE, iOS 12

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 12:49 PM

You do not need to select the card. The iTunes Store will automatically use available gift card credit on the account to pay for the purchase.

This however, does not mean your payment method may not still need to be validated, or the purchase approved by you prior to being completed.

Once your payment method is verified, it should directly charge the iTunes gift card credit balance.

See here: How App Store and iTunes Store purchases are billed - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2020 12:49 PM in response to MaidenMelly

You do not need to select the card. The iTunes Store will automatically use available gift card credit on the account to pay for the purchase.

This however, does not mean your payment method may not still need to be validated, or the purchase approved by you prior to being completed.

Once your payment method is verified, it should directly charge the iTunes gift card credit balance.

See here: How App Store and iTunes Store purchases are billed - Apple Support

Aug 28, 2020 6:50 AM in response to MaidenMelly

As I said, it does not ask to select any payment method normally. It should automatically use the gift card credit balance automatically you do not need to select it.

If its asking you for one, it means there is an issue with the payment method on file for your family organizer's account, and may be asking you to set up a new one. It will not charge the purchase to that payment method, but that payment method must be valid and verified regardless.

Make sure the payment method on your account is valid and can be used. This is required for Family Sharing to work correctly.

Gift card credit balance cannot be selected, but will be used automatically, however, the listed payment method needs to be valid and verified before it can do that.

iTunes and Family Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.