Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My laptop is getting slow down after connecting with extended monitor

I am using mac book pro 16 inch, after upgrading to latest OS (Catalina 10.15.6), i have started facing this issue. Whenever i am connecting my mac book pro with extended monitor CPU consumptions started increasing exponentially from 10-15% to 75-85%.

Mac Pro

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 8:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 10:28 AM

Welcome anoopsharma160,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! We understand that when plugging in your computer to an external monitor the CPU picks up. Let’s take a look and see what we can do. We're happy to help!

Let's first try to perform an SMC reset on your device. This resource will help you perform that reset. We also recommend making sure your MacBook Pro is on a flat surface when the fans turn on. This will ensure the cooling system of your Mac will work properly.

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Next, let's try to perform an NVRAM or PRAM reset on your device. This resource gathered will help.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Lastly, let's check Activity Monitor to see what processes are using your CPU the most making the fans turn on and your computer to heat up.

Activity Monitor User Guide

Have a great day!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2020 10:28 AM in response to anoopsharma160

Welcome anoopsharma160,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! We understand that when plugging in your computer to an external monitor the CPU picks up. Let’s take a look and see what we can do. We're happy to help!

Let's first try to perform an SMC reset on your device. This resource will help you perform that reset. We also recommend making sure your MacBook Pro is on a flat surface when the fans turn on. This will ensure the cooling system of your Mac will work properly.

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Next, let's try to perform an NVRAM or PRAM reset on your device. This resource gathered will help.

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Lastly, let's check Activity Monitor to see what processes are using your CPU the most making the fans turn on and your computer to heat up.

Activity Monitor User Guide

Have a great day!

My laptop is getting slow down after connecting with extended monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.