Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are brother printers compatible with iMac desktop computers

I have an old iMac(2014) with the Catalina OS. I am thinking of buying a printer. My interest has been drawn to the brother printers. Do you know if (and which) brother printers can be used with an apple computer. I have heard people say they are problematic with apple computers, but they have great features so I would like to buy one if they can work with my iMac desktop.

Any advice is welcome!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 5:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 5:17 PM

We use a Brother printer using High Sierra, Mojave & Catalina (3 separate computers) and all work just fine the model we own is the MFC-8900CDW. However I strongly recommend that you research each individual printer on Brother's website or the look at the specifications for the specific model(s) you are considering to confirm that printer supports Catalina. I recommend this with any manufacturers printer.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2020 5:17 PM in response to karlssongunvor

We use a Brother printer using High Sierra, Mojave & Catalina (3 separate computers) and all work just fine the model we own is the MFC-8900CDW. However I strongly recommend that you research each individual printer on Brother's website or the look at the specifications for the specific model(s) you are considering to confirm that printer supports Catalina. I recommend this with any manufacturers printer.

Aug 28, 2020 5:39 PM in response to karlssongunvor

I’ve not had issues with Brother printers, and the MFCs I’ve used have worked well.

Here is the list of what Brother considers compatible with macOS Catalina:

https://support.brother.com/g/s/id/os/macintosh.html

Printers with support for AirPrint and/or for IPP/IPPS can avoid the need for vendor printer drivers.

Similarly, scanners with TWAIN support can usually avoid the need for vendor scanner drivers.

Aug 29, 2020 3:21 AM in response to karlssongunvor

There seem to be a bewildering number of Brother computers. Is the MFC line the only line of Brother printers that will work with apple computers, to your knowledge?

I am assuming when you click on the "Go" symbol that that is a printer compatible with apple computers. Are the others not?

Thanks for the very helpful information.....

Aug 29, 2020 8:18 AM in response to karlssongunvor

We are on our second Brother laser. The first was still going strong when a refilled cartridge spread toner over the insides. Rather than dismantle it to get the spilled toner out of every nook and cranny, we opted for a replacement. Neither gave any issues. Historically, Brother's macOS support has been generous and "forgiving" of those of us who keep older OS versions in service.

If you plan to go wired, I recommend getting a networkable model with an Ethernet port. That has always been more reliable for us. The printer is plugged into the same router as the computers so is available to all our devices including wireless ones, yet with much greater reliability that using the printers's built-in wireless.

Once, ethernet ports were only available on the more expensive printers, Today they are quite common. Although it retails for US$130, I recall our current printer ( this one ) was under US$90 on sale at an office superstore.

There seem to be a bewildering number of Brother computers. Is the MFC line the only line of Brother printers that will work with apple computers, to your knowledge?

I've not dug through their web site is a couple of months but I've never seen a Brother printer or MF device that did not support Mac. If not all do, most will.

Aug 29, 2020 9:07 AM in response to karlssongunvor

You want a simple answer. The paradox of choice and all. But there isn’t one. Not with printers.

You will need to decide what features are important to you, past macOS support.

Printer size, printer speed, paper capacity, color, duplexing, envelope printing, scanning, fax, price, duty cycle, etc.

And you will want to consider the printer consumables pricing. Printers cheap to buy tend not to be cheap to run.

And you will want to look at the previously-linked Brother article, with the many supported-with-Catalina printers.

And again: printers with IPP/IPPS support and/or AirPrint support (TWAIN for scanning) will (should) work without vendor drivers.

Meaning they’ll usually keep working, without needing vendor driver updates.

Some folks want the cheapest printer, and they pay more for consumables, or they plan to replace it ever year or three.

I tend to go “departmental printers” due to features, consumables pricing, duty cycle, and longevity.

In the Brother line, what used to be called “departmental printers” are the mid- to upper-end MFC series printers.

These “departmental printers” are not the cheapest printers to buy, but that’s the usual trade-off.

Aug 29, 2020 9:38 AM in response to karlssongunvor

I will second what has been said here. I've had several Brother printers and MFCs and have been very pleased with them. I really like having a laser printer. It doesn't print color, but my wife's printer takes care of that. I would ensure that the printer you get works wireless since most printer manufacturers seem to not support older models with current drivers very long. That way, you are still good to print.

Are brother printers compatible with iMac desktop computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.