Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Restoring my Mac from a Time Machine back up really mean I erase my destination drive?

I am faced with restoring my Mac after a crash using a Time Machine backup for the first time. It won’t start up after a series of crashes for some reason. I have recently cleared the Mackintosh drive and I now have my system booting up from a C Drive , a new SSD. So when I’ve followed the steps as described on Apple support sites I reach the following message...which no one seems to have mentioned.

so ...what do I do? It seems drastic to erase this new drive. Will it just be replaced by the last Time Machine back up or will I lose data.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 7:41 AM

It does when Restoring from Time Machine in the Recovery menu, where it wipes the drive, and then repaves it with the contents of the Time Machine backup.

Similar questions

1 reply

Does Restoring my Mac from a Time Machine back up really mean I erase my destination drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.