Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Restoring from Time Machine

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 running macOS 10.13.7 and I was was having problems with the system. So I decided to restore it from Time Machine. I went to Restore from Time Machine, chose the proper backup, downloaded and installed it but when the install was finished, instead of restarting as indicated the computer went back to the restore window to start an install again even though the backup is installed on the startup disk. And of course the computer will not startup and keeps going back to the restore from Time Machine window. I also have not been able to reinstall the operating system from a USB installer. So I am stuck. I NEED HELP!!!

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 11:51 AM

then look at the other side of the -OR-

Your Apple-ID got clobbered when your MacOS was damaged, and the Mac App store does not recognize your Apple-ID any more.

Try launching Recovery with Shift-Option-Command-R and see if it will give you a really old version of MacOS (shipped in the box equivalent) and then upgrade from there.

More options might be available using a USB-stick installer version if you have another Mac that could run an overlapping version of MacOS.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2023 11:51 AM in response to Hal Frederick

then look at the other side of the -OR-

Your Apple-ID got clobbered when your MacOS was damaged, and the Mac App store does not recognize your Apple-ID any more.

Try launching Recovery with Shift-Option-Command-R and see if it will give you a really old version of MacOS (shipped in the box equivalent) and then upgrade from there.

More options might be available using a USB-stick installer version if you have another Mac that could run an overlapping version of MacOS.

Oct 1, 2023 9:04 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Sorry I was Not More Specific. I am getting a message saying "cannot make contact with the server". I have checked the internet connection and everything is fine, in fact if it wasn't I would not have been able to send this reply. I cant figure this out. I appreciate all your help and hope I can get this Mac Pro up and running soon!!!

Oct 2, 2023 7:05 AM in response to Hal Frederick

<<. "cannot make contact with the server". >>

There are two main reasons why a Mac can not make contact with the server that provides macOS:

• Date&Time are not correct within five minutes, so you cannot make a secure connection

• The Apple-Id currently associated with the computer (required to obtain any UPGRADED versions) is not a valid Apple-ID, or no Apple-ID was included in the request (because it was unknown or damaged).

Oct 2, 2023 9:50 AM in response to Hal Frederick

do you have reason to believe that date&time are damaged or inaccurate?

have you been able to make regular internet connections when your macOS was working?

TIME:

Before 10.14 Mojave: 

sudo ntpdate -vu time.apple.com

10.14 and later:

sudo sntp -sS time.apple.com

If you have a web browser available you can also use: http://time.is 

Restoring from Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.